• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Drinking age to 18

Started by Dave Ridley, January 12, 2005, 10:55 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

This is a thread for discussing the drinking age and how we might help return it to 18 where it belongs.  I'll be sending LTE's to NH college papers and maybe posting flyers on campuses, inviting them to this thread via the tinyurl.com engine.  May take a while for this to take off...and it will likely do so only once local college students grab it and run with it.   

Russell Kanning

They are old enough to go to war. They are old enough to vote. They must be old enough to drink. :)

AlanM

Quote from: russellkanning on January 12, 2005, 11:21 AM NHFT
They are old enough to go to war. They are old enough to vote. They must be old enough to drink. :)

Agreed.

JonM

I drank when I was 18 . . . but then, the Air Force had shipped me off to England where the legal age was 18.

Lloyd Danforth

We might want to consider balancing this with a program about responsible Drinking, perhaps a flyer:' Your Right To Drink And Your Responsibilities'  and I wouldn't limit to those under 21.
Lloyd

Michael Fisher

Is this a state or federal law?  The smoking age is 19 is Utah but 18 here.

Russell Kanning

Enjoy your rights at 18. Please vote and drink responsibly. ?;D

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on January 12, 2005, 03:27 PM NHFT
Is this a state or federal law?? The smoking age is 19 is Utah but 18 here.

Probably another one of those cases where the state must comply or miss out on getting some Fed tax money back.

intergraph19

But what then would the kids have to look forward to after 18?  21 is the last age marker, after that, you're just getting older.  :)

jcpliberty

Quote from: intergraph19 on January 13, 2005, 06:59 PM NHFT

But what then would the kids have to look forward to after 18?  21 is the last age marker, after that, you're just getting older.  :)

Oh shush. It is bad enough that I have to ask friends to buy my cooking wine and the wine I drink with dinner! I am 20 in a couple days and have been drinking wine with dinner and cooking with it since I was 13!

JP

Lloyd Danforth

Stop using cooking wine.  Don't cook with wine that you wouldn't drink!

jcpliberty

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 13, 2005, 11:02 PM NHFT
Stop using cooking wine.  Don't cook with wine that you wouldn't drink!

"Cooking wine" i have had no trouble purchasing, but it tastes nasty. I always cook using real wine!

JP

Lloyd Danforth

Oh, I get ya.  I thought you meant 'cooking wine' the crap in the bottle labeled 'cooking wine"
I get ya

I get ya

danhynes

Its a state issue. Last I checked only 1 state has a drinking age of 18. The reason states have it at 21 is the federal government gives them transportation money to set it there. I believe NH is possibly the only state in the nation that could change to 18 because NH already loses federal funds for not having a seatbelt law. Someone should look up how much money the state could lose for switching to 18. Dan

Russell Kanning

We don't want federal funds we want our booze! :D