• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

...but they're driving me crazy

Started by Raineyrocks, October 16, 2008, 07:23 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

K. Darien Freeheart

Has your male cat's gonads been lopped off yet, Friday?

Our kitties got something new when we moved to New Hampshire: Outside time.

Now that they're eating grass and mice.. birds... moose and moose hunters... they're not yakking in our areas. I love that!

I'm torn. I'm likely gonna outlive my kitties and I've already got replacements picked out. I'm anti-declawing, but I figure I can creatiely skirt the issue by making a point to adopt a declawed kitty from a shelter or refuge. I also want a Scottish Fold kitten... which means I need to have "breed" or 'claws' but not both. I will not support a breeder who declaws.

Tom Sawyer

I would advise you not to leave your cats out after dark. They are likely to get eaten, especially being inexperienced.

Fisher cats, owls, bobcats, and coyotes are some of the threats. We've lost a few, until we started making sure to not let them out as evening approaches.

Friday

Quote from: Kevin Dean on November 03, 2009, 07:53 PM NHFT
Yep. Which may have something to do with why he absolutely, positively refused to get put into a cat carrying cage when I was moving; I finally gave up and let him go free-range in the car.  I may never get him to the vet again.  ::)

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteI would advise you not to leave your cats out after dark. They are likely to get eaten, especially being inexperienced.

We have coyotes here, for sure. The kitties are in the motorhome come dusk. There have been a few times when one or the other hasn't appeared, but I think they both have a healthy fear of the "not quite dogs" over in the woods. Buttercut, our massive male, has frantically run in at 2am. I'm trained to hear their "thumps" when they enter, it's awoken me at night.

KBCraig

I'm anti-declawing, but I figure I can creatiely skirt the issue by making a point to adopt a declawed kitty from a shelter or refuge. I also want a Scottish Fold kitten... which means I need to have "breed" or 'claws' but not both. I will not support a breeder who declaws.

Good for you, but you also need to remember that a declawed cat must never, ever, go outside. Being cats, they will still want to explore, and aren't likely to come when called. When they're declawed, they not only lose half their defensive weapons, they lose the ability to climb (which is their main predator avoidance technique).

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Friday on November 03, 2009, 08:04 PM NHFT
Yep. Which may have something to do with why he absolutely, positively refused to get put into a cat carrying cage when I was moving; I finally gave up and let him go free-range in the car.  I may never get him to the vet again.  ::)
Yeah, they couldn't get me into a car for a couple of years............What were we talking about?

cathleeninnh

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 03, 2009, 07:57 PM NHFT
I would advise you not to leave your cats out after dark. They are likely to get eaten, especially being inexperienced.

Fisher cats, owls, bobcats, and coyotes are some of the threats. We've lost a few, until we started making sure to not let them out as evening approaches.

Our neighbor's ferret got out last week. I wonder how long he lasted?

Raineyrocks

Yikes, poor guy!   When Rick got a vasectomy, (sp?), I gave him a xanax at every red light, he was so messed up he doesn't even remember the scary parts of his procedure.  ;D

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 04, 2009, 06:28 AM NHFT
Yeah, they couldn't get me into a car for a couple of years............What were we talking about?

;D

thinkliberty

Our kitties got something new when we moved to New Hampshire: Outside time.

Now that they're eating grass and mice.. birds... moose and moose hunters... they're not yakking in our areas. I love that!

I'm torn. I'm likely gonna outlive my kitties and I've already got replacements picked out. I'm anti-declawing, but I figure I can creatiely skirt the issue by making a point to adopt a declawed kitty from a shelter or refuge. I also want a Scottish Fold kitten... which means I need to have "breed" or 'claws' but not both. I will not support a breeder who declaws.

You could use softpaws... which are caps that you can glue on to your cat's claws...

see:
http://www.softpaws.com/

They will fall off, but as long as you don't have expensive leather furniture that you are worried about the cat scratching up when they fall off then it's not a big deal.

cathleeninnh

Quote from: raineyrocks on November 10, 2009, 08:05 AM NHFT

When Rick got a vasectomy, (sp?), I gave him a xanax at every red light, he was so messed up he doesn't even remember the scary parts of his procedure.  ;D

Scary?!? Don't you mean funny? When my ex had his, he complained bitterly about his legs in stirrups. I couldn't stop laughing at the image.

Don had his and made no complaints whatsoever, but then I hadn't asked him to do it.

Sorry for the tmi.

Cathleen

Raineyrocks

Quote from: cathleeninnh on November 10, 2009, 09:37 AM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on November 10, 2009, 08:05 AM NHFT

When Rick got a vasectomy, (sp?), I gave him a xanax at every red light, he was so messed up he doesn't even remember the scary parts of his procedure.  ;D

Scary?!? Don't you mean funny? When my ex had his, he complained bitterly about his legs in stirrups. I couldn't stop laughing at the image.

Don had his and made no complaints whatsoever, but then I hadn't asked him to do it.

Sorry for the tmi.

Cathleen

I love tmi!  ;D  Rick didn't even tell me he was in stirrups, he probably didn't remember.  He kept slurring about posters on the wall.  :dontknow:

Rick wasn't happy about getting "it" done but gosh I'd probably have 15 kids if he didn't.  I swear I can get pregnant just from hanging his underwear on a clothesline.  :-\