• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I'm not sure what "subject" line to write so I'm just going with "The Bible"

Started by Raineyrocks, November 01, 2012, 10:27 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Johnson

Quote from: KBCraig on December 15, 2012, 05:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jim Johnson on December 15, 2012, 08:58 AM NHFT
Ask an unanswerable question?  Sit there with the 'I'm an incredible philosopher' look.

Posit an unfounded explanation and look for the people who like that answer.

Scorn everyone else as nonbelievers.

Or vice versa.

...as the need arises.

Kat Kanning

Rainey, I can tell you how I learned about the Bible.  I listened to John Macarthur sermons on the New Testament.  I just picked a book, John for example, and read thru it, and listened to the sermons teaching about that book....

http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/scripture/john

It helps....if you are interested in learning about it.  But I have a whole lot of time to listen to such things, being a truck driver.  All I do all day is listen to the radio or stuff I've downloaded off the internet.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Jim Johnson on November 19, 2012, 12:32 AM NHFT
I was wrong about King James wanting a divorce, that was Henry VIII.
Henry VIII separated the Church of England from the Pope in Rome and was excommunicate for it.
King James came later and rewrote the Bible to smooth things over in England.

Sure, confuse me more Jim, just what I need. ;D  Thanks for clarifying though. :) 

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on November 22, 2012, 06:02 AM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 22, 2012, 04:58 AM NHFTI think the Bible is the devine word of God.  I don't think there are errors in it.

Which one?  There are hundreds of Bibles, which don't agree with each other.  So which one is correct?

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 22, 2012, 05:01 AM NHFTGod's creation was perfect, but when Adam and Eve sinned, death and all sorts of nasty things entered the world.  That is why we have disease.

Shouldn't a perfect creation be able to survive use in the real world?  I can design all sorts of "perfect" machinery on paper, which would fail if actually built and exposed to real-world conditions and use.  If God is all-knowing, then He knew exactly what Adam and Eve would do in Eden, and His work can hardly be called "perfect" if it was not designed to survive the use to which He knew it would be put.

Plus, what about the other peoples of the world, who existed in places other than Eden?  The "divine word of God" is absolutely explicit on Adam and Eve not being the only humans on the planet, but is rather vague on who created the other people, where they were distributed (other than that some of them had cities within easy travelling distance of Eden), or how they would fit in with the Fall.  Did the choices made by Adam and Eve somehow cause those other (presumably-innocent) people to suffer?  Did it cause their existing bodies to change, such that their pelvic bone structure became such that childbirth became difficult and painful?  That their cardivascular systems would wear out while their minds were still functional?  That their cells' ability to self-repair would sometimes go awry, leading to cancer?  That children would sometimes be born with horribly deformities which cause them agony until their early deaths?  Why do I see a memorial at DHMC to a little girl who died at age ten, with a note about how bravely she faced death?  How, precisely, does some stranger's actions, minimum (if we asume some Bibles to be verbatim) thousands of years in the past, result in an innocent child having to spend the last few years of her first decade on this planet, bravely facing her own death?

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 22, 2012, 05:01 AM NHFTI think the human body is an absolutely amazing bit of engineering, even so.

So, when a toddler gets appendicitis and has to spend a month in a hospital due to complications (which happened to a neighbor's kid), that's because of "amazing engineering," and not because the appendix is a vestigial organ left over from an evolutionary process?  Why is it there, if not for evolution?

Yup, these are some of the things I wonder too.  Also, if one of my kids didn't listen would it be right to punish all of them?  If we all came from Adam and Eve wouldn't we be the same color and have very similar dna? Why are there Jews and Gentiles then?  It seems in the bible there is a clearly distinct difference in races or something.

If we were perfect until "they" ate the apple then God had to re-manipulate the entire body structure, right?   It just doesn't make sense to me.

Regarding skin color I know that certain regions where people live can affect this but what about chinese people?  Why are they yellowish?  Just wondering.....

I know I poised the questions and I'm not trying to be argumentative, (sp?) I'm just trying to find any logic that I could justify to live my life according to the bible. 

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 25, 2012, 07:01 AM NHFT
Rainey, I can tell you how I learned about the Bible.  I listened to John Macarthur sermons on the New Testament.  I just picked a book, John for example, and read thru it, and listened to the sermons teaching about that book....

http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/scripture/john

It helps....if you are interested in learning about it.  But I have a whole lot of time to listen to such things, being a truck driver.  All I do all day is listen to the radio or stuff I've downloaded off the internet.

Thanks Kat and I will check out the link.  :)   I'm not trying to be difficult.  I am trying to have an open mind but it's really hard for me to base an entire belief system off of a book that makes no sense to me.   MaineShark brings up some excellent points and a lot of questions I myself have too.  Especially the creation of good and evil and also how "free will" is already mapped out so to say, so is it really free will?  I'm pretty sure someone dying of an incurable disease didn't choose that path and didn't deserve it because Adam and Eve sinned. :-\

I did start this thread however because I have personally seen people's lives change for the better because they either chose or somehow attained proof that the bible is the real deal but I don't want to just start believing it because they did.  I've also read about people's lives changing due to thier belief in Buddhism, so why are we told via the King James Bible that there is only one way?

Kat Kanning

The Bible didn't used to make sense to me.  It was only when I gave my life over to Christ I could start understanding it.  I don't know why it's this way, but that's also what the Bible says, that the eyes of unbelievers are blinded.

Jim Johnson

Believe as a child,

ignoring the things you know to be true...

only then will you be one with God.

K neth

Excellent, Jim.

Quote from: MaineShark on November 22, 2012, 06:02 AM NHFT

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 22, 2012, 05:01 AM NHFTI think the human body is an absolutely amazing bit of engineering, even so.

So, when a toddler gets appendicitis and has to spend a month in a hospital due to complications (which happened to a neighbor's kid), that's because of "amazing engineering," and not because the appendix is a vestigial organ left over from an evolutionary process?  Why is it there, if not for evolution?

The most amazingly engineered software is full of vestigial code that can occasionally cause problems.

But words suck.  Creator, Great Engineer, or Divine Clockmaker are maybe not the best of metaphors for God.  It might be better said that God grew the world. But words suck.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Jim Johnson on January 10, 2013, 10:06 AM NHFT
Believe as a child,

ignoring the things you know to be true...

only then will you be one with God.

How can you ignore the things you know to be true, though?  Sorry, I don't understand. :)  Believing as a child is a beautiful concept, it's so hard though after the bad stuff in this world gets into your brain.  I know we should look at the beauty but how do you drowned out the evil? 

I miss when I was a kid and was amazed by almost everything, the birds chirping in the trees, the blue sky, feeling a dirt road and grass under my bare feet, so very cool all of it.  Now I feel constant pressure in my head, worries, fears, etc. and it sucks.

MaineShark

Quote from: K neth on January 11, 2013, 09:56 AM NHFTThe most amazingly engineered software is full of vestigial code that can occasionally cause problems.

But words suck.  Creator, Great Engineer, or Divine Clockmaker are maybe not the best of metaphors for God.  It might be better said that God grew the world. But words suck.

Indeed.  As I noted earlier, one can make logical arguments that there's some driving force (which one can call "God" if one wants) behind evolution.  They may or may not be true (the jury's still out), but at least they make sense.  The human body as a work in progress is a defensible position.

"God snapped His fingers and created this incredibly flawed mechanism" doesn't make sense.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 22, 2013, 03:45 AM NHFT
hoaxes in theory of evolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hV-rqCDhew

If science were a religion the Piltdown Man would be doctrine and one would be compelled to hell for saying it was a hoax.

The guy that put that video together knew enough to not put quotation marks around the things he claims people have said.

Russell Kanning