• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

bad vibes

Started by John, August 22, 2015, 07:42 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

so did I miss something
What was the bad vibes that started this thread?

MaineShark

On the other hand, Ross is honest and ethical.  A rare thing for a lawyer.  Rudeness is definitely an issue, but given the choice between a polite crook and rude but honest, I'll take rude but honest.

John

Oh, so picking up the "vibes" was in part because of increasingly "poor" communication from the board of directors, and sensing that things may be about to start moving very quickly, I started the thread.

Before I go any further, know that I intend no resistance. :) I'm likely going further out on "the rim."
May Peace be with us all.

After starting this thread, I began to try to figure out what was coming at me - and how fast, and I found out that the board's lawyers have the board talking about "firing" me; but that, also, someone (at least one?) will be (privately) offering me a place to stay... Some - if not all - of the board members know at least a bit (assuming they share info better with each other than they do with me, and better than I'm told that their lawyer does with them) about how financially exhausted I am.
Another person said that a (potential) new lawyer has said that, in order for himself to take the tax-case, the board will need to distance themselves from me.  ;D OK then. Funny times begining?
I have been offered a place to stay, and it is something that seems could probably be worked out quite mutually beneficially. While I truly appreciate that offer, it seems VERY HIGHLY UNLIKELY that I will stay in Grafton if this unfolds as I'm thinking it is beginning to.
There is a hint from someone of another possible offer to come which would be designed to keep me very close. That arraignment would likely be about as stable as (and most probably far less than) the one I've been in. While it does intrigue me, it seems quite unlikely to happen...

I'm not slamming the door to the future shut, but it seems my work here in Grafton is - at least for now - almost over.
Time will tell how well the mission of Peaceful Assembly Church - "To foster Peace as prescribed by God" - will be held to in my absence.

I'll probably post more later, but for now, here is a small sampling of recent strained communication:

Recently, the board "hired" (which means he also get to work for zero pay) John Redman to be another pastor at Peaceful Assembly Church. This without ever letting me know in advance that they were considering this - let alone any prior consultation with me - on the matter.
At that board meeting (held here, outside after a Regular Sunday Service Meeting, which is regularly attended by one board member, James...) the board had Mr. Redman, who is newly moving to town, and who has been friendly to me and the mission of Peaceful Assembly Church for quite some time, scheduled to introduce himself to the board.
They moved things very very quickly along until right before their vote to make Mr. Redman "co-pastor - even though he had insisted he wanted nothing beyond "assistant-pastor" - I was (in what seemed like quite an afterthought) asked if I "had a problem" with it. Bottom line on that: I expressed some minor concerns, but I surely said I don't "have a problem." ...
This was at the very same meeting where, in response to what seems like ENDESS demands that I get involved with the lawyers and the legal fight, I had earlier had lots - and lots - of questions for the board about if they (individually or collectively) ever took seriously any of the things I've said about this mission and my willingness to loose everything, if necessary, to answer this calling - and stick to it.
I had made these things quite publicly known while forming Peaceful Assembly Church. Yes, before buying this property.
Most (I think not all) of them knew where I stood back then - before I purchased the property.
I had repeated these things many, many, many, times throughout the three years in which I owned the property, and all of the board members had certainly heard them - repeatedly.
They all knew my stated - - and often repeated - - positions before the board was ever formed. They chose to get involved knowing where I stood. ...
If my positions were unacceptable, then why did anyone get involved? Well, as it turns out (I think) people didn't take me seriously. ...
At one of the very first board meetings, I was asked if I would at least defend my rights in court with regard to back-taxes. I re-stated that I would not fight, but that I would be willing to sign my rights over to the new owners of the property. ...

More recently; another meeting was (this time without me being given any prior knowledge about it) scheduled to be here at the church. This time I was not even informed that anyone was coming here. Not a hint.
I work relentlessly here, had probably worked hard that day, and I was not feeling well that day, and I was trying to take a nap in the late afternoon/early evening. As I tried to rest, there was noise outside, and then knocking.
I thought I was hearing one or two men's and one woman's voices outside.
I really needed the rest, so tried to stay napping.
Soon, I heard what I thought was at least one but perhaps two men's and one woman's voice - inside the building.
I got up, and came out of my private space.
A board meeting was beginning, and I was very soon given a copy of a draft of a "memorandum of understanding" regarding my relationship with the board. An understanding was discussed, and always in place, before I gave the property away. Making the understanding into a "memorandum" has been tabled from the very beginning.
I'm OK with tabling it, as I'm not worried about it.
This draft did not represent that understanding... I joined in the discussion in order to remove/modify the most offensively rough parts, but it is clear where this was now going. I told the board "I am not offering resistance..."
At that same meeting one board member declared something like "we haven't really had a mission statement..." which seemed just plain-and-simply kind of nutty to me.
But, was it just "nutty" or had something bad just to come out and into view? Are they thinking of changing the mission?
But maybe more on that later.

Anyway, when I am fired it will mean, of course, that I won't get to get to stay here and keep relentlessly working - pouring everything I have ever earned - full-time plus - - and at my own expense - -into supporting this mission and this property.
But, in some ways, this is really very good timing too, because I'm out of money.

This has been a massive labor of Love, as I answered this calling from God.
I am joyfully listening - being still, to know - and (mostly) quite at Peace - to hear where God calls me to next.

If I have not done enough, please Forgive me.
If I've not done it right, please Forgive me.

If I've done too much, please Forgive me.
May inner and outer Peace be with us all.    More later.  :)

Russell Kanning

In some ways this is almost funny. Why did these guys get involved in a "church" where they didn't really agree with the guy that was running it?
Will they just drop the whole idea of a church and start a club or something? Why get another pastor, since it doesn't seem like they even want one?
I was laughing about the Peaceful Assembly Church organization having more than one paid attorney and no paid pastors, custodians, maintenance men, or ladies that prepare tasty food. :)
I was on the board of a massive church which employed 50 pastors, 20 child care workers and probably 30 other people, but they didn't spend money on lawyers.
Maybe this one needs to be called the church of the lawyer. :)

maybe just another example of how many non-profit organizations go

good luck John .... maybe you can keep painting and talking with people in Grafton ... otherwise I might have to warn the warmongers and whitewashers along the seacoast that a peacenic with a purple paintbrush might be headed their way. :)

when you get a chance call me ... otherwise I will try you at the church between naps, board meetings, and parking lot beautification projects.

John

In fairness to all who are trying to do what they think is what needs to happen, the board are all unpaid volunteers who have put in quite a bit of effort. These guys all stepped up when I was asking for someone to give the property to before the gov-thugs stole it.

I can not have it both ways. I could have been on the board.
I chose not to. I chose to let it go. I'm quite imperfect.

Any blame should ultimately fall on me. And you know that there will be plenty of that.

But, I trust God.
This ain't over.

God works in strange ways sometimes. As (I think) W.B. Yeats put it in one poem: "At stroke of midnight, God shall win."

Hey, anyway, I might even have "a little bit" of energy left.
I'm looking for somewhere special where folks try to have power under each other rather than power over...
I have a few tools, and a few building supplies, which I may bring with me to a place where the owner told me that they're trying to have a "Do-mocracy" - as in, if you want to see something happen then do it. I think they might benefit from having me around as much as I would enjoy being there.
Needing to have more conversation with owner...

John

Before going further, I should say that each of the board members has done things which have been very helpful, and which I appreciate.
Here, I'll start with a small sample:

James has been most interested - and involved - in the actual purposes for which I started this mission. James  (along with 90 year old Lois, who is not a board member) has been one of our most regular attendees and participants in our Regular Sunday Service Meetings for many years. James has, many many times, expressed gratitude for the value of Peaceful Assembly Church and its part in helping to restore his relationship with God.
James has been very helpful, in many ways, and at many times, with helping me with organizing things here. He has been enormously patient with me - particularly when I've been not as patient. I've learned a kindness from James which is my reward for looking into the mirror which he (whether purposefully or not) has held up... more later?

Jay has pretty relentlessly arrived after nearly every winter storm in 5 years, and - at his own expense - moved mountains of snow. Winter storm times happen to also be busy times for Volunteer Fire and Ambulance guys and gals, so in addition to helping with his plow, he'd come to help save my life or the property if called; or come here to plow after having helped others. Jay is know to "not be afraid to say things which need to be said." This is not a popular role, but he does it well. It is a role he was asked - by me - to fill. I don't always agree with Jay, nor am I always comfortable with Jay's style, but we are adults and we don't need to always be comfortable. I "probably" also annoy Jay a little bit with my style "sometimes"... Jay has been very helpful in other ways too... more later?

It is after 7:00 and I've got other things to do right now.
So, I'll get to Tom, Jeremy, and Bob later.

Peace

Russell Kanning

John

Preparing to fast for deposition day.

Russell Kanning

need to binge watch Mr Smith Goes to Washington
Mr Connell Goes to Town Hall

John

I'll be at various undisclosed Peaceful and restful locations today and tonight, as I try to prepare my mind and spirit for their "legal" trap...

Among the biggest blessings in the work which I've been doing is that causes me to constantly check myself to see if I'm actually "practicing what I preach."
I think if I just try to do this the way I would advise any other, then I'll likely be OK.
I don't expect to be very good at this, but if I do my best I might not totally mess things up.

Not sure I'll post answers to their long list of lies before going to their deposition against me and Peaceful Assembly Church.

Please pray for all of the "players" involved. Please - for all of us.
Thank you very much.
Peace,
John

John

FYI: I might also be out of the comunication loop for a while after.
<3 Peace

John

Quote from: John on August 25, 2015, 10:38 AM NHFT
Preparing to fast for deposition day.

"9:00pm" phone message = tomorrow's deposition against me canceled.
Ending fast = ice-cream with chocolate sauce.

John

The king of their municipal lawyer group started right out (in his cover letter) with a subtle untruth: "has been trying."

As far as I know there was one - and only one - telephone message left here by Ross - ever, before this was written.

I got that phone on the same day - but after - I was told Ross had been fired.
Turns out (I was told) there is a lawyer process for firing one and hiring another, which had not gotten to Ross yet...

K neth

You go John!

Maybe try proceeding with no fear of failure, encroaching expectations, or hope for success. That sometimes works well for me.

John

I didn't think it I'd consider options outside NH, but I am.