• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Maybe the sky isn't falling

Started by Tom Sawyer, September 15, 2016, 10:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

WithoutAPaddle

When did Austrian Economics become "cool"?  I was an Economics major when it was already 100 years old, and I was so certain that I had never heard of Austrian Economics that I bought a copy of the 1970 edition of Paul Samuelson's Economics for a few bucks on eBay to look it up but and it isn't in the index.  The only mention of Menger is that his first name initial and last name is in a footnote list of half a dozen economists from five countries who had alluded to the notion of a General Equilibrium.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: WithoutAPaddle on March 28, 2017, 08:25 PM NHFT
When did Austrian Economics become "cool"?  I was an Economics major when it was already 100 years old, and I was so certain that I had never heard of Austrian Economics that I bought a copy of the 1970 edition of Paul Samuelson's Economics for a few bucks on eBay to look it up but and it isn't in the index.  The only mention of Menger is that his first name initial and last name is in a footnote list of half a dozen economists from five countries who had alluded to the notion of a General Equilibrium.

The Mercatus Center at George Mason University and the CATO Institute I think are the main avenues that the DC crowd has been educated.

WithoutAPaddle

Do they want to cut taxes for rich people?  Lots of think tanks get lots of money to espouse that "thought". 

Are the economists of the Josiah Bartlet Center "Austrians"?  I read they get their money from the Koch brothers.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: WithoutAPaddle on March 28, 2017, 11:48 PM NHFT
Do they want to cut taxes for rich people?  Lots of think tanks get lots of money to espouse that "thought". 

Are the economists of the Josiah Bartlet Center "Austrians"?  I read they get their money from the Koch brothers.

I don't know a lot about it other than having worked for Mercatus and CATO when I lived down there.

I think the left has branded the Koch brothers as evil rich guys. I don't think I buy into that class struggle/envy stuff. Seems kind of hypocritical for the left to be funded by Soros and then to hate Koch. I've made money off both Koch and Soros, indirectly. It's all green.  ;D

Russell Kanning

if some guys in DC are complaining about us ..... excellent

WithoutAPaddle

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 29, 2017, 05:04 AM NHFT
Quote from: WithoutAPaddle on March 28, 2017, 11:48 PM NHFT

I don't know a lot about it other than having worked for Mercatus and CATO ...

You worked for Cato?

Tom Sawyer

Russell Kanning

unrelated but fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtBrs03PV8c

any scotts on this thread?

Can Shire Folk say "Mass residents are cool?" or similar
It doesn't roll off my tongue but the sky might still not be falling

WithoutAPaddle

There was a Simpsons episode where Lisa was dreaming about her having been Joan of Arc, and the dream dialog was spoken in French, with English subtitles, except for the word victory. and she asked, "Why did you say 'victory' in English?" and was told, "Because there is no French word for victory".

Russell Kanning

Tom Sawyer

Russell Kanning

hey I didn't think you French-Canadians living along the Maine border had a sense of humor

blackie

Since they don't have many black people in Maine, the KKK had to hate on the French Canadians back in the day.

KBCraig

KBCraig