• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Any Homeschoolers Here?

Started by Rosie the Riveter, April 04, 2006, 11:56 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: eques on January 21, 2007, 07:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: toowm on January 21, 2007, 07:01 PM NHFT
((Okay, I'm not a woman either, but you'll never find size 14 heels!))

((Dude!  Bad idea to challenge women like that!))

Especially these women

it doesn't have to be heels-- just the dress...barefoot is fine.

dawn

Quote from: raineyrocks on January 21, 2007, 01:41 PM NHFT
I have been giving some serious thought about homeschooling my kids again too. I joined the FSP homeschool group and asked alot of questions but no one answered them, it seems like a slow forum, I don't know.
I live in Grafton County and want to make sure the kids can have social activities too but can't seem to find to much info on it.
Jane gave me a contact awhile back I 'll have to find it and ask her directly.
Then I got a message from someone name JigglyPuff and she had some info but was only a guest on this board and I have no way of contacting her.  Here was what she wrote me:
JigglyPuff
homeschoolers in Grafton county
? Sent to: raineyrocks on: September 29, 2006, 05:50:54 PM ? Reply with quote Remove   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi-
We are homeschoolers with 5 kids: 4 boys 9,5,3,1 and 1 8yo daughter. We have always homeschooled. I would recommend using a private school to report to. I use Tri City Christian Academy, I'm not really a Christian, but that doesn't matter. It is $40 per student, $120 max.
If you want the contact info, just let me know.

HTH
Rebecca

My questions are if I use a private school to report to do I need to file an intent to homeschool form for the board of Ed every year?  Also how does this affect the mandatory tests that I need an evalutor for?  Does this get me out of the red tape of the state's regulations?

You have to file an annual notification with someone - one option is a private school as mentioned above. I also use Tri-City and they have been very easy to work with.

Second component to comply with current statute is an annual evaluation. Check out the link to the laws (or better yet order yourself a copy of the new Home Educator's Guide from www.nhhomeschooling.org so you'll always have a hard copy on hand). Basically, your child can take a test or have a portfolio review.

Join some homeschool lists to try to network with others in your area. Sometimes you have to be willing to drive a bit to get things going, but it's usually worth it.

Raineyrocks

Awesome information, thank you everyone!   ;D

Raineyrocks

Oh Yeah, I almost forgot.  I am going to be going through some boxes we haven't unpacked yet and I have some younger age homeschool things, like vhs tapes about counting, letters, reading ect.  I think the material is for PreK to grade 1 or 2, if anyone needs anything like this let me know and I will try to get it together for you.  :)

cathypeschke

"You said Oh Yeah, I almost forgot.  I am going to be going through some boxes we haven't unpacked yet and I have some younger age homeschool things, like vhs tapes about counting, letters, reading ect.  I think the material is for PreK to grade 1 or 2, if anyone needs anything like this let me know and I will try to get it together for you.  Smiley"

I would love these materials.  Please let me know if you still have them.  My daughter is two, she can already count, knows her alphabet, can read her letters and knows the phonetic sounds of the letters.  But anything above and beyond that would be great.

Cathy
863-7613
Croydon, NH

Raineyrocks

Quote from: cathypeschke on March 13, 2007, 05:40 PM NHFT
"You said Oh Yeah, I almost forgot.  I am going to be going through some boxes we haven't unpacked yet and I have some younger age homeschool things, like vhs tapes about counting, letters, reading ect.  I think the material is for PreK to grade 1 or 2, if anyone needs anything like this let me know and I will try to get it together for you.  Smiley"

I would love these materials.  Please let me know if you still have them.  My daughter is two, she can already count, knows her alphabet, can read her letters and knows the phonetic sounds of the letters.  But anything above and beyond that would be great.

Cathy
863-7613
Croydon, NH

Hi Cathy,

I will look through my pre-k things this weekend and let you know what I have.  Your daughter can count at two, gosh up to what? Alphabet too?  Wow, sounds like you don't need pre-k for her, maybe I can find some of my old college books. :D   So it sounds like you need learning how to read and write materials and some basic math, right?  Does she like videos too?  I might have some of those also. Let me know more about what kinds of things you need for her and then I can look for those.  She's quite advanced for two!   :)

Kat Kanning

I have The Writing Road to Reading if you'd like that.

I also have an extra copy of the NH Homeschool Guidebook put out by the New Hampshire Homeschooling Coalition, if anyone wants that.

cathypeschke

Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 14, 2007, 11:54 AM NHFT
I have The Writing Road to Reading if you'd like that.

I also have an extra copy of the NH Homeschool Guidebook put out by the New Hampshire Homeschooling Coalition, if anyone wants that.

I would love these, when I get a chance to meet you hopefully after our move is complete in two weeks or so I can.

Kat Kanning

Alrighty, just remind me when you're all settled.  We usually come to the Dartmouth meetings.

donnay

Does anyone have and references for Kindergarden and Second grade curriculum?  The past school year we did Alpha and Omega and I found it very kludgey and I want to try something new.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: donnay on June 13, 2007, 03:54 AM NHFT
Does anyone have and references for Kindergarden and Second grade curriculum?  The past school year we did Alpha and Omega and I found it very kludgey and I want to try something new.

I know some families that use Oak Meadow but, we always invented our own curriculum....

In second grade we used Singapore Math, Kingfishers History Encyclopedia, Usborne's Internet Linked Science Encyclopedia and a writing program that I can't remember the name of....humm... I found all this stuff in the book "Creative Home Schooling: A Resource Guide for Smart Families" by Lisa Rivero and maybe some in "The Well Trained Mind"....I've read so many damn homeschooling books now I can't remember that either  ;) Maybe it's me that needs the homeschooling rather than the kids.

donnay

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on June 13, 2007, 03:53 PM NHFT
Quote from: donnay on June 13, 2007, 03:54 AM NHFT

I know some families that use Oak Meadow but, we always invented our own curriculum....

In second grade we used Singapore Math, Kingfishers History Encyclopedia, Usborne's Internet Linked Science Encyclopedia and a writing program that I can't remember the name of....humm... I found all this stuff in the book "Creative Home Schooling: A Resource Guide for Smart Families" by Lisa Rivero and maybe some in "The Well Trained Mind"....I've read so many damn homeschooling books now I can't remember that either  ;) Maybe it's me that needs the homeschooling rather than the kids.

LOL!  I know what you mean.  *SIGH*

Thanks for the information.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Dagny Taggart on March 13, 2007, 05:40 PM NHFT

Cathy
863-7613
Croydon, NH

I am so sorry I read this thread today and said, "oh crap I haven't even looked through the boxes yet".  I have a procrastinators thread going in the whining and debating topic and this should have been on my list.  I hope I remember to do this, I'm sorry.    What kinds of things are you looking for?  I have, (out of some of the boxes on my shelf right now), a cool reading bingo game with little words, a talking clock to learn how to tell time.  I know in the boxes there are learning how to read stuff.  Let me know because I don't want to send you things you don't need.  Sorry again. PM me with your address too so I can send them to you or if your going to Porcfest I can just bring everything.  Let me know. :)

Crocuta

Any of you folks have good libertarian focused civics educational tools appropriate for 5th-6th grade?

toowm

There's a new book I will be reading soon that we will probably use for the kids: The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution http://www.amazon.com/Politically-Incorrect-Guide-Constitution-Guides/dp/1596985054/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-2638815-7232603?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184591120&sr=8-1

We've also used the Uncle Eric books http://www.bluestockingpress.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=21

And for Independence day week we watched and critiqued the Schoolhouse Rock / America Rock songs, 1776 the musical. and the Revolution (a couple of years old from A&E).