• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Georgist Question

Started by Dreepa, July 10, 2006, 12:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

After I pay them economic rent can I then charge them rent for being on my land? :icon_pirat:

Lex

Quote from: Dreepa on July 10, 2006, 01:38 PM NHFT
I like Russell's mantra... simple.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. Isn't that British Navy?

FrankChodorov

QuoteWhat good is compensating someone for economic harm if they don't have somewhere to stand/exist and thus make use of the compensation.

well let's look at a hypothetical shall we?

let's say that an apartment that had been leasing for $800/mo. ($300 for economic rent/$500 for use of capital) will now be renting for $500 under a geo-anarchist system.

you don't get charged for the economic rent but you still do for use of the building...

now what about someone who "owns" just raw land but they pay $200/mo. in economic rent to his neighbors...why would they not use it productively and instead lease it to someone so they can just "stand on it" to exist if they couldn't charge that person at least the $200/mo.?

they wouldn't...

Lex

Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 10, 2006, 03:11 PM NHFT
QuoteWhat good is compensating someone for economic harm if they don't have somewhere to stand/exist and thus make use of the compensation.

let's say that an apartment that had been leasing for $800/mo. ($300 for economic rent/$500 for use of capital) will now be renting for $500 under a geo-anarchist system.

you don't get charged for the economic rent but you still do for use of the building...

What if there are no apartments for rent?

Dreepa

now what about someone who "owns" just raw land but they pay $200/mo. in economic rent to his neighbors...why would they not use it productively and instead lease it to someone so they can just "stand on it" to exist if they couldn't charge that person at least the $200/mo.?

they wouldn't...

or I don't want to rent to that person.
Or they are a friend so they get below market rates
or I don't like them so I raise the rent.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 10, 2006, 03:22 PM NHFT

is there any land to freely homestead (no economic rent attached)?

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Dreepa on July 10, 2006, 03:24 PM NHFT

they wouldn't...

or I don't want to rent to that person.
Or they are a friend so they get below market rates
or I don't like them so I raise the rent.

fine don't rent to that person and pay the $200/mo. to your neighbors (which includes the person)

a below market rate is considered a gift...

can't raise the rent because the market won't allow it...

Lex

Frank, in order for your system to be consistent you have to guarantee somewhere to stand. Otherwise, you will end up with people who are getting all this money as compensation for not having anywhere to stand and yet they will still have nowhere to stand while holding a wad of cash and floating around ::)

The permise to your theory is that we own the earth in common and if you exclude someone you have to compensate them, well what do you compensate them with? You can't stand on money without first puting the money on someones land/property and you're not going to have much luck standing on Dreepas poor little chicken, besides, the chicken has to stand on something too...

Lex

Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 10, 2006, 03:31 PM NHFT

The population on earth is continuously growing and eventually there will be no land or apartments for rent. How will your system address the situation then?

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 10, 2006, 03:36 PM NHFT
Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 10, 2006, 03:31 PM NHFT

The population on earth is continuously growing and eventually there will be no land or apartments for rent. How will your system address the situation then?

increased population increases demands on a fixed supply of locations...the economic rent just continually goes up.

Lex

Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 10, 2006, 03:39 PM NHFT
increased population increases demands on a fixed supply of locations...the economic rent just continually goes up.

Something would have to give Frank, what would it be?

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 10, 2006, 03:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 10, 2006, 03:39 PM NHFT

Something would have to give Frank, what would it be?

because we today treat land as capital (thank you neo-classical revolution) we have wildly incentivized our consumption without understanding the true costs at the point of sale...

this means that today we have consumed beyond the sustainable yield and are now consuming the common assets themselves.

we will no longer be able to feed our population before we run out of 3D space to occupy...

Dreepa

Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 10, 2006, 03:47 PM NHFT
[
this means that today we have consumed beyond the sustainable yield and are now consuming the common assets themselves.

we will no longer be able to feed our population before we run out of 3D space to occupy...
i agree that 'westerners' consume too much.

But
1.  yields of food might increase.
2.  this assumes that all people get the same amount of food.

CNHT

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 10, 2006, 03:35 PM NHFT
Frank, in order for your system to be consistent you have to guarantee somewhere to stand. Otherwise, you will end up with people who are getting all this money as compensation for not having anywhere to stand and yet they will still have nowhere to stand while holding a wad of cash and floating around ::)

The permise to your theory is that we own the earth in common and if you exclude someone you have to compensate them, well what do you compensate them with? You can't stand on money without first puting the money on someones land/property and you're not going to have much luck standing on Dreepas poor little chicken, besides, the chicken has to stand on something too...

OH Lex you have made me laugh so hard I can't stand it... LOL

15 minutes later she is still hysterical and needs oxygen..   :laughing6: :laughing9: :laughing11: :toothy12:

FrankChodorov

QuoteThe permise to your theory is that we own the earth in common and if you exclude someone you have to compensate them, well what do you compensate them with?

a lien on the appreciating land value that then becomes the non-redeemable backing of a rent voucher local currency system.