• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Building Fun at Jim-n-Lauren's

Started by TackleTheWorld, September 15, 2006, 05:39 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

It is good to be buying and building in Winchester. Here is some real estate talk from a place I moved out of ... Santa Clarita http://thehousingbubbleblog.com/?p=1461  $600,000 for a 3 bedroom house? Ack!
Life is good for us peasants in the backwoods of NH. :)
I see a brick "bucket brigade" in my future on the 30th.

TackleTheWorld

We can make this a 2-day event, Sat and Sun.
So more people can attend.

Whoa, guest quarters are a bit cold..and unfurnished... and 25 yards from a bathroom. :-\

In consolation we can have a pancake breakfast for overnighters :)

Kat Kanning

I'm sorry, but I'm forced to move this thread to "Civil Disobedience" in the name of honesty and openness.   :jailbird:

FTL_Ian

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on September 17, 2006, 06:40 PM NHFT
Oh, forgot to mention,
We got a cease and desist warning from the local building inspector Wednesday.
(renovating a home without a building permit) :blah:

So those unwilling to take part in an act of civil disobedience should not volunteer.
>:D

Hahaha!  I can see the headlines now:

"SWAT team sent to prevent group of criminals from hammering and shoveling without a permit!"

I was already planning on attending, but this just sweetens the pot.   ;D

CNHT

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on September 15, 2006, 05:39 PM NHFT
Warning: We have been warned by the local building inspector to cease and desist our unpermitted renovation.
Do not attend if you would like to remain 100% law abiding.

Lauren, how did he know you were doing this in the first place? I realize it's a small town...

Lloyd Danforth

CNHT

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 18, 2006, 07:33 PM NHFT
They suffer from visability

Hmm so someone actually put them on notice in writing?

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: CNHT on September 18, 2006, 04:20 PM NHFT
Warning: We have been warned by the local building inspector to cease and desist our unpermitted renovation.

Lauren, how did he know you were doing this in the first place? I realize it's a small town...

Jim talked with him before we purchased the property, the bureaucrat said he'd like to see the barn renovated, and said we wouldn't need a permit. :(

CNHT

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on September 18, 2006, 08:14 PM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on September 18, 2006, 04:20 PM NHFT

Jim talked with him before we purchased the property, the bureaucrat said he'd like to see the barn renovated, and said we wouldn't need a permit. :(

And now you've gotten a written cease and desist? What a liar! If they require building permits that was bound to happen so I don't know why he misled you. All they care about is taxing the hell out of you really.

I remember when I built my house, their description of it was nothing like what the house was really like.
He said well now I'll have to come over there and look. So I made him come in and see it so I could get an abatement. 
I guess he thought I'd back down, which was silly because you can't lie about how many rooms you have...
I eventually got about $1500 off my taxes.

Michael Fisher

How dare you renovate that property!?  :o

This is :bs:.

CNHT

Quote from: Michael Fisher on September 19, 2006, 05:32 PM NHFT
How dare you renovate that property!?  :o

This is :bs:.

Our system of taxation does NOT encourage people who maintain their property. It is punitive.

cathleeninnh

It does seem that homes are kept decidedly shabbier here than other parts of the country. It is confusing to us furriners when we see shabby, we think, CHEAP. NOT!

Cathleen

Russell Kanning

They also have crummy houses in South Central LA full of bullet holes ..... and they still are $600,000. I am sure Bill Grennon can explain. :)

TackleTheWorld

Dawn had an explaination for the cease and desist warning.
Jim had a letter to the editor published recently that recommended Dawn for state rep.
Her political adversaries are trying to admonish him.

FTL_Ian

I think the government should cease and desist.  It's not nice to threaten people.   >:(