• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

It's SNOWING!!!!!!!!

Started by Kat Kanning, November 02, 2006, 06:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

John

David

Snow is much better than freezing rain and killer wind chill.  Of course the flip side to all our snow, is a decent realitively speaking, summer. 
Sorry, 90 degrees in the shade just isn't for me, I don't care how 'dry' the air is. 

John Edward Mercier

This winter has been warmer than average. I think the utility bill listed February to be 4F warmer than last.

Lloyd Danforth

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: KBCraig on March 04, 2008, 12:01 PM NHFT
Quote from: babalugatz on March 04, 2008, 08:27 AM NHFT
this has been one of the most evil winters we've had in a while.

One year ago, we heard cries of how "global warming" was destroying NH's winter tourism economy.

The GW theory claims that regional weather anomalies such as unusually cold periods are caused by climate change. That may or may not be true. It also sounds like the reasoning religion uses, not science.

Caleb

I think we ought to be promoting Global Warming as the only global answer to the scourge of snow.

Global Warming -- Cause it's the Right thing to Do.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Caleb on March 08, 2008, 12:13 AM NHFT
I think we ought to be promoting Global Warming as the only global answer to the scourge of snow.

Global Warming -- Cause it's the Right thing to Do.

Except Global Warming is blamed not just for hot weather but for increases in violent weather nowadays. Hurricanes, typhoons, tornadoes, &c.. See how they've always an answer and it always result in the DOOM? ::)

All in all, I believe there's some truth to climate change. I also believe climate change is basically eschatology for secular society.

Caleb

Hurricanes, Tornados, Typhoons - Let's repackage those as Ocean Breezes.

Melting of the polar icecaps = safe voyages for passenger ships

Polar Bears dying = Chances of being attacked by a Polar Bear dramatically decreased!

New York City underwater = Ending urban blight

You've got to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative.

Pat K

Quote from: Caleb on March 08, 2008, 12:35 AM NHFT
Hurricanes, Tornados, Typhoons - Let's repackage those as Ocean Breezes.

Melting of the polar icecaps = safe voyages for passenger ships

Polar Bears dying = Chances of being attacked by a Polar Bear dramatically decreased!

New York City underwater = Ending urban blight

You've got to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative.

;D ;D ;D ;D

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on March 07, 2008, 11:57 PM NHFT

One year ago, we heard cries of how "global warming" was destroying NH's winter tourism economy.

The GW theory claims that regional weather anomalies such as unusually cold periods are caused by climate change. That may or may not be true. It also sounds like the reasoning religion uses, not science.
Huh?

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on March 08, 2008, 05:29 AM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on March 07, 2008, 11:57 PM NHFT

Huh?

What characterizes a lot of faiths is their unfalsifiable nature—any attempt at presenting opposing evidence can be explained away by omnipotence of the faith's deity, or the idea that logic doesn't apply, or similar. Scientific theories are supposed to be falsifiable—that is, a theory is constructed based upon available evidence, but if evidence comes to light that contradicts the theory... time for a new theory. When GW advocates are able to label virtually every aspect of the modern environmental condition as being evidence of global warming, GW theory becomes unfalsifiable—and moves from science to faith.

John Edward Mercier

Since weather and climate are relative (climate being the long term average of weather), a regional weather anomaly if long enough would in essence be a climate changing event.

While the theory would suggest that an increase in solar irradiance, or an increased retention of thermal energy, would change regional weather patterns.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on March 08, 2008, 07:40 AM NHFT
Since weather and climate are relative (climate being the long term average of weather), a regional weather anomaly if long enough would in essence be a climate changing event.

While the theory would suggest that an increase in solar irradiance, or an increased retention of thermal energy, would change regional weather patterns.

The actual theory as put forth by global warming climate change advocates is that the increased temperature translates to increased energy in the atmosphere, which translates to more violent weather throughout the world in general—including monster snowstorms among other things. This does sort of make sense, but I begin to be suspicious because the theory has such a catch-all nature. It's as if they were casting about since the 1970s trying to come up with a theory that couldn't easily be challenged, and they finally did it. The theory is simply too convenient.

Yes, this is a grossly unscientific counterargument, but since the issue is already so politicized by the other side, I tend to trust my own paranoid political intuition more than scientific rigor.

Caleb

My main question is, Is Global Warming going far enough? I mean, even the most radical projections don't show the planet warming by more than a few degrees. I'm sick of this ice age. Let's try to get back to how it was when the dinosaurs were here. Increased heat doesn't mean that life can't thrive. On the contrary, we are still living off the oil from the massive amount of carbon-based life that thrived during that period. So let's try to go back to that time. That was nice. It might even solve our peak oil problem.  ;)

Kat Kanning

this used to be a fun thread