• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Xenophobe police chief in New Ipswitch?

Started by FTL_Ian, May 04, 2005, 10:49 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mvpel

The government mandates that hospitals must provide emergency medical services to anyone who comes through their doors regardless of their ability to pay, and has failed to secure our nation's borders, so this is not particularly surprising.  What is surprising is that it's only $1 billion - the doctors are probably going to wind up having worked for less than minimum wage.

KBCraig

Quote from: LiveFreeOrDie on May 10, 2005, 04:10 PM NHFT
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/223556_immig10.html?source=rss

"The Bush administration said yesterday that it would start paying hospitals and doctors for providing emergency care to illegal immigrants.

The money, totaling $1 billion, will be available for services provided from today through September 2008. Congress provided the money as part of the 2003 law that expanded Medicare to cover prescription drugs, but the new payments have nothing to do with the Medicare program.
[...]
The largest allocations this fiscal year are going to California, which will receive $70.8 million; Texas, $46 million; Arizona, $45 million; New York, $12.3 million; Illinois, $10.3 million; Florida, $8.7 million; and New Mexico, $5.1 million."

Fork it over.  Fork yourself.

We've already been forking over that money. This just means the hospitals can be directly reimbursed, instead of passing it on to other patients or padding insurance bills.

I have to agree with the logic of that bill. Since the feds say all public hospitals must treat emergencies regardless of ability to pay (and must post large signs in English and Spanish announcing such), then the feds should cover unpaid services.

The answer, of course, is to eliminate such a silly law. Charitable hospitals have virtually disappeared, mostly because of government interference.

Kevin

Russell Kanning

Can't you just feel the pain in your pocketbook? >:(

LiveFreeOrDie

Quote from: russellkanning on May 11, 2005, 12:23 PM NHFT
Can't you just feel the pain in your pocketbook? >:(

Considering that my "individual taxpayer" share of that amount is more than $180.00 over the next 2.5 years, yes! I CAN feel the pain!  That is more than my family of four pays in physician and medication co-pays for 3 years!  Actually, in the last 12 months it was $40.00, so pro-rated, it would be more than 4X that.

KBCraig, I respect that you agree with the logic of this bill.  I absolutely do not.  While it still isn't enough to fully compensate for the drain illegal aliens put upon the doctors and hospitals, it is enough to make some of the doctors and hospitals a bit less *angry* about the cause.  It's still not a solution.  But there we go, throwing more of our money at a problem instead of fixing it.  And that is not logical to me at all.  Logic would be these angry, put-upon people who are getting fleeced actually getting angry enough and coordinated enough to really FIX the problem.  Rather than looking to taxpayers to bail them out.

Kat Kanning

If I got mugged of $180 dollars, I'd sure be mad.

Russell Kanning

Now California's problem is being forced on all the rest of us.

KBCraig

Quote from: LiveFreeOrDie on May 11, 2005, 12:59 PM NHFT
KBCraig, I respect that you agree with the logic of this bill.  I absolutely do not.  While it still isn't enough to fully compensate for the drain illegal aliens put upon the doctors and hospitals, it is enough to make some of the doctors and hospitals a bit less *angry* about the cause.  It's still not a solution.  But there we go, throwing more of our money at a problem instead of fixing it.  And that is not logical to me at all.  Logic would be these angry, put-upon people who are getting fleeced actually getting angry enough and coordinated enough to really FIX the problem.  Rather than looking to taxpayers to bail them out.

I didn't say I agreed with the bill; I merely found it logical. The solution, as I wrote, "is to eliminate such a silly law."

Kevin

Scott Roth

It is obvious to me reading the dialog on this subject that you people have no fucking clue what has been going on in the Monadnock Region regarding illegal aliens.  Maybe if you truly understand same of things that have been going on over the years in New Ipswich, you might have some sympathy for Chamberlain.  You may not like the law, but he is doing the job he is being PAID to do.  Illegal aliens are just that...ILLEGAL.  The hell with opening the borders here in the US.  That idea comes from people of great ignorance.  We need to help the people here in this country...to have jobs...to be more secure...to keep aliens out and in their own place of residence.  If you want to help people like that, then you need to go into their country and help them to change the laws and conditions there, so they won't have to come here illegally and take away resources from us.

Pat K

Quote from: Scott Roth on May 11, 2005, 04:24 PM NHFT
It is obvious to me reading the dialog on this subject that you people have no fucking clue what has been going on in the Monadnock Region regarding illegal aliens.? Maybe if you truly understand same of things that have been going on over the years in New Ipswich, you might have some sympathy for Chamberlain.? You may not like the law, but he is doing the job he is being PAID to do.? Illegal aliens are just that...ILLEGAL.? The hell with opening the borders here in the US.? That idea comes from people of great ignorance.? We need to help the people here in this country...to have jobs...to be more secure...to keep aliens out and in their own place of residence.? If you want to help people like that, then you need to go into their country and help them to change the laws and conditions there, so they won't have to come here illegally and take away resources from us.

I do so have a clue! I think Carlos did it in the library with the candle stick! HA

Russell Kanning

Speaking as a former resident of the state being taken over by illegal aliens (CA).....I say

"Stop all the government handouts and make it easy to move to the United States".

The reason people in those states are so bitter about immigrants is because so many live off the rest of us once they move here. But I believe in freedom for people in every country. I like to love my neighbor as myself....hence if I was living in Mexico and wanted to move to the US I would want it to be fairly easy. We let the crummy government stealing blind us to other things....if we get rid of the welfare state...things will clear up. :D

We don't have an illegal alien problem in our area....I used to go into restaurants and be the only white guy. :-X

Kat Kanning

LiveFreeOrDie

Quote from: KBCraig on May 11, 2005, 02:22 PM NHFT
I didn't say I agreed with the bill; I merely found it logical. The solution, as I wrote, "is to eliminate such a silly law."

I know, and I didn't say I thought you agreed with the bill, but the logic of it. :) Your quote "I have to agree with the logic of that bill."   And I said I did not, and I didn't find any logic in it.

KBCraig

Quote from: LiveFreeOrDie on May 11, 2005, 09:22 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on May 11, 2005, 02:22 PM NHFT

I know, and I didn't say I thought you agreed with the bill, but the logic of it. :) Your quote "I have to agree with the logic of that bill."   And I said I did not, and I didn't find any logic in it.

By that, I meant that the sponsors of the bill were seeking reimbursement from the source of the problem: a federal government that requires them to treat patients for free. That's perfectly logical. It's also simplistic, short-sighted and incomplete.

If they were to think it through, they'd be demanding an end to forced charitable healthcare, for aliens and citizens.

This bill is akin to demanding an air conditioner because the house is too hot, while failing to realize that the a/c wouldn't be needed if they would just turn down the thermostat on the furnace.

Kevin

LiveFreeOrDie

Yes, you're right about the government being the source of the problem.  However, the government isn't growing money in a special garden somewhere, and thus it is all of us the doctors are ultimately stealing from by force.  Very simplistic, you're right.

My issue with this "reimbursement" is they won't be getting angrier and demanding an end to the free healthcare.  Now they have had a taste of welfare, they are going to want more.

I like the AC analogy.

AlanM

Quote from: Pat K on May 11, 2005, 05:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: Scott Roth on May 11, 2005, 04:24 PM NHFT
It is obvious to me reading the dialog on this subject that you people have no fucking clue what has been going on in the Monadnock Region regarding illegal aliens.? Maybe if you truly understand same of things that have been going on over the years in New Ipswich, you might have some sympathy for Chamberlain.? You may not like the law, but he is doing the job he is being PAID to do.? Illegal aliens are just that...ILLEGAL.? The hell with opening the borders here in the US.? That idea comes from people of great ignorance.? We need to help the people here in this country...to have jobs...to be more secure...to keep aliens out and in their own place of residence.? If you want to help people like that, then you need to go into their country and help them to change the laws and conditions there, so they won't have to come here illegally and take away resources from us.

I do so have a clue! I think Carlos did it in the library with the candle stick! HA

Or was it Juanita who did it with Carlos in the Conservatory. No lead pipe involved.