• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Learn in Freedom

Started by AlanM, July 06, 2005, 09:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

AlanM

Thanks Mike! I went to public schools.  ;)

Michael Fisher

AlanM

Some of my best friends....... It doesn't mean we are bad people.  ;D

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on July 09, 2005, 10:58 AM NHFT
Imagine someone dressed in prisoner garb outside of a public school holding this sign:

"Learn in Freedom"

;D

I remember a line from Reason Magagzine a long time ago.  'School children, our youngest Political Prisoners'

Russell Kanning

Rocketman

russel u missed the joke, ur dumb? ;D

Hey, I love what you guys are doing!? Parents need to be "educated" on the evils of government schooling, and this is a good way to start!

I remember a bumper sticker from when I was a kid: "Another Brilyunt Mind Destroid by the Public Educashun Sistem."? Yup.

Freedom
? ? IS
Education

Public Schools:
How "Public"
Are They?!?!

Michael Fisher

AlanM

Here is a link to a series of videos entitled "Meet John Gatto" They can be downloaded for free, and require QuickTime to play. http://www.edflix.org/gatto.htm I have downloaded 4 so far, (I have dial-up, so it is slow), and find them interesting and useful.

Russell Kanning

Michael Fisher

Update:

Alan and I held signs that said "Learn in Freedom" and "Power to the Parents" in downtown Exeter today in front of town hall.  We were approached by various people interested in what we had to say.

We were also harassed by the police for protesting without a permit and "soliciting" because we were handing out flyers.  We argued our way out of it, stopped handing out flyers :(, and refused to stop protesting.  Officer Jeff Butts then left and did not return.

I debated whether or not to trigger my 30-day jail sentence.  On the one hand, I'll lose my part-time job if that happens.  On the other hand, if I give in, I will be accepting their authority to silence free speech.   :-\

Kat Kanning

That's BS.  We hand out stuff in Keene in front of city hall, and hold signs and all.  Did they only start harassing you when they found out what your domonstration was all about?

Michael Fisher

Quote from: katdillon on July 13, 2005, 01:22 PM NHFT
That's BS.? We hand out stuff in Keene in front of city hall, and hold signs and all.? Did they only start harassing you when they found out what your domonstration was all about?

I think a higher up drove by and saw us, then he called and asked a lieutenant to come harass us.? *shrug*

Russell Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on July 13, 2005, 12:32 PM NHFT
Update:

Alan and I held signs that said "Learn in Freedom" and "Power to the Parents" in downtown Exeter today in front of town hall.? We were approached by various people interested in what we had to say.
Great

AlanM

I was encouraged by our first outing. Met several people who loved what we are doing. One elderly woman was very pleased to see me out there. Think this was before Mike arrived. She talked about how we have to get kids out of public schools and also how we need to separate the schools from gov control.  8) Another gentleman took my handout and walked away reading it. He returned a few minutes later and said he agreed with everything on the handout. He was definitely going to check the links out, he said.
There was a young girl, (14 or so?), who talked with Mike and I. Hers was a sad story. She said she was labeled as a "special needs student" and didn't learn to read till the fourth grade. After she got out of public school into a private school, everything improved drastically, she said. She said she was definitely going to check out nhfree.com8)
Officer (Sgt.?) Butz, who is not a bad guy, was the fellow who told us to stop. He said we could hold signs, but not pass out literature. It was the Captain's interpretation of the soliciting law, as I gathered from him. Butz could care less. He acted like he thought the Captain was a bit of a jerk. That the Captain was out of line.
I would have offered to be arrested, but was worried about Mike getting in the middle of it, and ending up spending 30 days in jail. If we are bothered again, I will insist that Mike remove himself, so I can be arrested without worrying about him.
I had a friendly chat with a State Trooper who stopped in at the store. I told him what had occured, and he asked what town. When I said Exeter, he smiled and said it didn't surprise him. As he put it, Towns are always passing stupid regulations that stand until they are challenged in court. This may be necessary in this instance.