• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Polstice Celebration!

Started by Daien, December 17, 2008, 09:19 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Daien

That stands for "Past Solstice" because I don't want to refer to it as a "christmas eve party."

Edited For More Information:
We're having a celebration here at the Animal Farm on 24 December 2008! Feel free to arrive anytime after 5pm. I'll be making potato broccoli soup with fresh-from-scratch biscuits, as well as homemade eggnog! I'm keeping good on my promise of single malt scotch for the eggnog. The Barskey has intimated that he'll be bringing brownies, and feel free, those of you who are coming, to bring something or not; there's only the few of us and we'll have plenty.

We can eat whenever we feel like it, and if the weather cooperates, and the wood is dry, it would be great to have a bonfire. Loving ritual as I do (without the dogma!), there might be some fun things in the Festivus Wikipedia to incorporate into our evening. Right off the top, I'm thinking of Burning Some Shit! That would be things that I want to let go of, both negative and unproductive; actual items, or missives written on paper and thrown in the fire. I'd like to clean out the cobwebs of this past year, and allow space for joy, love, and beauty in the upcoming year. Join me if you like, or come up with something fun and meaningful of your own for all of us to participate in.

Mike Barskey

I'll be there. I'll have some potato-broccoli soup, but I may bring (or make) something of my own, too (hmmm brownies sound good). Thanks for the event!

Mike Barskey

We could also play some games or watch a movie, have a snowball fight, etc. But a bonfire in the snow sounds awesome!

MattLeft

I thought it had something to do with Festivus.  Observers of that holiday use a pole in lieu of a tree, so "Polstice"...

Daien

Quote from: MattLeft on December 17, 2008, 07:42 PM NHFT
I thought it had something to do with Festivus.  Observers of that holiday use a pole in lieu of a tree, so "Polstice"...

Oh, my, I hadn't heard of that before! That's what I get for not watching TV. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

Now you've given me a bunch of ideas, and caused me to remember Io Saturnalia as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia
But that was a different year, and a way different party! Masters and slaves, slaves and Masters . . . bwahahahahahahhah!

So far, there's only three of us, but that means we can run around naked howling at the moon, and performing Festivus and Saturnalia rites!

William

Quote from: Libertine on December 17, 2008, 08:10 PM NHFT

that means we can run around naked howling at the moon, and performing Festivus and Saturnalia rites!

Why didn't you say so before? I guess we're in.

Not really into xmas at all.

Mike Barskey

You guys are coming? Excellent!

I'm not into xmas, either. I'm have no particular reason to celebrate solstice (or polstice), but at least it's not xmas! Plus, it's new. There's no tradition. We can make it. Polstice is our own Festivus. We can dance naked and howl at the moon, or we can play scrabble, or anything "in between." Cool.

Daien

Quote from: William on December 17, 2008, 08:49 PM NHFT
Quote from: Libertine on December 17, 2008, 08:10 PM NHFT
that means we can run around naked howling at the moon, and performing Festivus and Saturnalia rites!

Why didn't you say so before? I guess we're in.

Not really into xmas at all.

Ha! I thought that might get someone's attention!

Quote from: Mike Barskey on December 17, 2008, 08:56 PM NHFT
You guys are coming? Excellent!

I'm not into xmas, either. I'm have no particular reason to celebrate solstice (or polstice), but at least it's not xmas! Plus, it's new. There's no tradition. We can make it. Polstice is our own Festivus. We can dance naked and howl at the moon, or we can play scrabble, or anything "in between." Cool.

I may not have any belief in the christmas tradition, but I love celebrations, especially when they're really fun and joyful. I liked some of the stuff that was on wikipedia for Festivus, especially since it's so irreverent yet meaningful. And, NO, Mike Barskey, we're not going to play naked scrabble, that's just wicked wrong! We can dance around the bonfire naked, however . . . 'cause that makes perfect sense out here in the wild woods! Now we just need some drummers . . .

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Libertine on December 17, 2008, 09:08 PM NHFT
Now we just need some drummers . . .

"Come," they told me, Pa-rump-pum-pum-pum . . .

Becky Thatcher

Well, I am a High Priestess in the Church of the Latter Day Druids... our holy days are full moons, solstices, equinoxes... basically any excuse for a party!!!    :D

Not sure if we'll be able to make it, but we'll be there in spirit.  ;)

William

Quote from: Becky Thatcher on December 17, 2008, 10:23 PM NHFT
Well, I am a High Priestess in the Church of the Latter Day Druids... our holy days are full moons, solstices, equinoxes... basically any excuse for a party!!!    :D

Possible outreach opportunity. I surely won't tithe but might worship the moon.

Daien

Daien

Quote from: Becky Thatcher on December 17, 2008, 10:23 PM NHFT

High Priestess indeed, Miss Becky, you'd make it a REAL party!

41mag

If I don't have anything else going on that day ;) I'll be there. 

Daien

Quote from: 41mag on December 18, 2008, 02:09 PM NHFT
If I don't have anything else going on that day ;) I'll be there. 

Fantastic, (although I'm sure you're hoping to have 'something else' going on).  ;)
I guess I'd better figure out a time and post it on the calendar!