• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kelo Report, Part 1

Started by FTL_Ian, August 27, 2005, 03:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

So these people have stood up to the government .... not really threatened any bloodshed .... and the government is backing down. :D

Kat Kanning

Is that anything like a codpiece?

Lloyd Danforth

In their wisdom, The Hartford Courant, CT's largest newspaper did not mention Gov. Rell's reprieve.
CT, simply, does not care about the FT Trumbull issue!

TackleTheWorld

Hi, Lauren here, resident of the embattled Ft. Trumbull neighborhood of New London, Connecticut.  Day 32

Status of utilities:
electricity     On
gas             On
water           On
phone           reported to be on, I'm not connected yet.
cable           On

This week began with eviction notices sent by the New London Development Corp.  What was a sparsely populated neighborhood suddenly became busy.  More tennants moved in, absent landlords appeared.  Like when you scare a cat it appears bigger and scarier than it's normal state.  Mike Christofaro, one of the Kelo 7, came out to feed the journalists. He began defiantly painting his house while being interviewed for TV.  Susette Kelo, who seemed unsure and worried last week turned into a tall-walking order-giving impressario calling in threats to politicians. 

Then Governor Rell eased tensions with a public statement for the NLDC to recind the eviction order.  Now everyone is blinking their eyes in disbelief and asking each other if they think the seige is over. 
The residents seem happy with current news, but I am going to stay wary.  Being reprieved by bigger, stronger tyrants than the local tyrants does not placate me.

What do you think?  Are we fortunate that the governor is acting to protect us, or unfortunate because the local government has been made a servant of the state?

Kat Kanning

Maybe the state just needs time to get their share of the loot out of New London.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on September 16, 2005, 10:39 PM NHFTWhat do you think?? Are we fortunate that the governor is acting to protect us, or unfortunate because the local government has been made a servant of the state?

every day you are still there is a good sign

Michael Fisher

Quote from: russellkanning on September 16, 2005, 11:32 AM NHFT
So these people have stood up to the government .... not really threatened any bloodshed .... and the government is backing down. :D

Exactly!!!  8)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: tracysaboe on September 15, 2005, 06:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: LeRuineur6 on September 15, 2005, 05:04 PM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 15, 2005, 04:39 PM NHFT
Great, so I get my head smashed in or trampled by the cops, and I get to hope that some change comes down the line because of it?

It's a huge sacrifice indeed, but it works.? The means are moral and justified.? The quest of nonviolent noncooperation involves self-suffering, sometimes even unto death.

Some of us aren't willing to make that sacrafise. I've made a vow to protect and provide for my wife. how am I going to do that if I'm dead and unable to pretect her anymore.

Sometimes you almost sound like a unionist or a communist who does things for "the movement." I care about my own liberty, and that of my close friends and family. It's those very social networks that as a libertarian I'm trying to protect. I'm not going to abbanden them getting myself killed for "the movement."

If using a gun and killing a cop is going to save my life and the life of my family, I'm going to do it.

Tracy

Tracy,

Voluntary self-sacrifice is NOT synonymous with communism or unionism, it is a neutral action in itself.  Would you call volunteer firefighters communists?  Were Gandhi, Jesus, and Martin Luther King communists?

Nonviolent noncooperators are completely misunderstood, even on this forum, but I really don't understand why.  There is an enormous difference between passively defending liberty and initiating actions to significantly increase liberty.

If you initiate an act of civil disobedience, you are intentionally provoking a government response.  If you intentionally provoke a violent response by the government, and then KILL the government agents for their violent response to your action, that is not justified under most circumstances.

IMO, attempting to remove the consent of the governed is the best defense of liberty, and nonviolent noncooperation events are clearly the best form of removing the consent of the governed.

If you want to wait for the government to continue growing to the point that it breaks down your door and tries to kill your family, in which case violent defense is your only option, then feel free to wait.  In the meantime, I'll be doing what I can to actively weaken the very core of the system, push the limits, break the rules, and introduce the ideals of true liberty, regardless of what happens to me.

Like I said, nonviolent noncooperation is a choice.  There are other ways to actively push for more liberty rather than being defensive.  It's all up to you.  A voluntary self-sacrifice for the furtherance of liberty cannot be considered synonymous with communism or unionism by any reasonable person in my opinion.

tracysaboe

Absolutely.

I would go stand on my property and sit-down in front of the bull-dozers with everybody else.

But I'd have a side arm with me. If the government tried to shoot me or forceively handcuff me and rip me from my own property I'd have a letitimate right to defend myself with force.

I like you would hope that violence is not neccessary. But if after peacefully standing at my house to prevent the government from stealing my property I'm presented with the choice of either getting my head blown off or shooting the guy that'd be doing the blowing off of my head. I'll take the shot.

I'm not going to sacrafise my life, thereby turning my back on the family, friends, church, and other social groups which are interdependent with myself for the sake of the movement.

You need to understand that there is a whole different school of passive civil disobedience. It was the one championed by Thurough and Emerson. I disobey so that I can be more free and so my family and the ones I personally care about, in the here and now.

I'm not quite ready to have a bullet shot through my head in the name of liberty. If you are, then so be it.

Tracy

FTL_Ian

Breaking news from New London:  Lauren (Tackle the World) has been arrested!!  :o

According to Richard Breyer, one of the "Kelo Seven", there was a city council meeting tonight in New London.

The bureaucrats packed the meeting room with their flunkies, then opened the doors and when the citizens came up the stairs to where the meeting was to take place the Fire Marshall claimed that the room was full.  It was at some point between then and 20 mins later when our girl Lauren was arrested for "Inciting a riot".  As I understand it, this meant she was vocal about wanting to get into the meeting.  To hear this news straight from Richard himself, listen to hour one of Free Talk Live from tonight:

http://freetalklive.com/files/FTL091905A.mp3

Lauren, you're my hero!  I hope you're okay!   :-[

FTL_Ian

Lauren,

When you get out of jail, we'd love to have you come on the show and tell your story!  Please contact me at ian@freetalklive.com and we'll set up a time.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 19, 2005, 10:21 PM NHFT
Breaking news from New London:? Lauren (Tackle the World) has been arrested!!? :o

According to Richard Breyer, one of the "Kelo Seven", there was a city council meeting tonight in New London.

The bureaucrats packed the meeting room with their flunkies, then opened the doors and when the citizens came up the stairs to where the meeting was to take place the Fire Marshall claimed that the room was full.? It was at some point between then and 20 mins later when our girl Lauren was arrested for "Inciting a riot".? As I understand it, this meant she was vocal about wanting to get into the meeting.? To hear this news straight from Richard himself, listen to hour one of Free Talk Live from tonight:

http://freetalklive.com/files/FTL091905A.mp3

Lauren, you're my hero!? I hope you're okay!? ?:-[

"Inciting a riot"???  WTF?

I have to listen to this...

Michael Fisher

Ok, it's up on the front page now.

KBCraig

I just listened to the FTL episode. What machiavellian mo-fo's the NL council and NLDC are!

I can't wait to hear from Lauren on this. If anyone on the ground there can give us an update, please do!

Kevin

Kat Kanning

Ian....man your show is so annoying.  You don't let the people talk.