• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Are conspiracy kooks hurting the liberty movement?

Started by dalebert, January 14, 2014, 12:26 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Becky Thatcher

Quote from: KBCraig on April 30, 2017, 12:33 AM NHFT
"If the earth was flat, cats would have knocked everything over the edge by now."

My 14yo.

;D :clap: That's hilarious...and I have to agree with him.

Russell Kanning

dalebert

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

Fortunately for us, libertarians are immune to this. We have special extra-smart brains.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: dalebert on May 03, 2017, 11:27 AM NHFT
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

Fortunately for us, libertarians are immune to this. We have special extra-smart brains.

That was good and on point with conversations I've had recently.

I've been presenting the idea to people that many problems I see in people's reasoning is what I call shortcut thinking. Shortcut thinking is understandable in the need to make your thought processes more efficient. The problem comes in that it is more of a reactionary way of thinking.

If you are talking to someone and they hear a phrase that the talking heads use they think they know your position...  "You must be a liberal!" Etc.

Libertarians are just as prone to this... Many are really contrarians, their short cut thinking means they can be manipulated. And they can take positions based merely as a reaction.

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on May 04, 2017, 10:48 AM NHFT
Libertarians are just as prone to this... Many are really contrarians, their short cut thinking means they can be manipulated. And they can take positions based merely as a reaction.

"What are you rebelling against?"
"Whaddaya got?"

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on May 04, 2017, 08:44 PM NHFT

"Whaddaya got?"

I'm much more interested in what you're for, then what you're against.

I'm not interested in Communism, but the position of the anti-communist could mean they're fascist. And the Antifa may be against Fascism, but they are pro-communist.

The next problem when you are defined by your enemy is you can take on the tactics of your enemy. The cop blockers start thinking they should have the equipment of the cops. And try to intimidate them.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on May 04, 2017, 08:50 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on May 04, 2017, 08:44 PM NHFT

"Whaddaya got?"

I'm much more interested in what you're for, then what you're against.

I'm not interested in Communism, but the position of the anti-communist could mean they're fascist. And the Antifa may be against Fascism, but they are pro-communist.

The next problem when you are defined by your enemy is you can take on the tactics of your enemy. The cop blockers start thinking they should have the equipment of the cops. And try to intimidate them.

Interesting points there, Mr Sawyer.     

Overcoming engrained false dichotomies is a big hurdle I run into when trying to discuss things with people.   

Russell Kanning

Have you come across this Banksy related movie?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587707/?ref_=nv_sr_1

also listening to a podcast about the CIA and hollywood
latest one was about American Ultra
I guess they did an interesting ad campaign at comic con in San Diego involving free medicinal weed

Tom Sawyer

Russell Kanning

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on May 06, 2017, 10:49 AM NHFT
was it good?

It's more about the guy who tried to make a film about street art and Bansky. He shoot thousands of hours of footage and came up with this weird pretty unwatchable film, so Banksy told him he should stop filmmaking and actually do some street art... Banksy didn't want to tell him how bad his film was. So the guy, went all in and created a art personae "Mister Brainwash", MBW and started a studio getting employees to create the art he thought up. He ended up cashing in on the LA art scene. Pretty manic crazy dude.  ;D

Russell Kanning

Jim Johnson

Tom Sawyer

Listen to what Moe says boys and girls...

Russell Kanning