• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Started by Tom Sawyer, March 22, 2016, 01:18 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

MaineShark

I've no direct knowledge of whats going on in the FB world, so this is based upon second- and third-hand accounts.

From those accounts, it seems like there are "witch-hunters" on two sides.  There are folks who want to "purify the movement" of anyone who holds controversial opinions.  And there are folks who immediately interpret any suggestion of moderation as oppression (ie, they do not differentiate between, "I really would prefer if you didn't do that" and "I'm going to force you not to do that").

And then there are all the non-witch-hunters on any side who want to have rational discussions, but cannot because the witch-hunters are interfering.  Those who want to discuss ways to stand up for what you believe and also not piss off the rest of the population cannot be heard over the yells of "free speech!" and "you're just trying to create your own statist system!"  Those who want to discuss ways that society does not address certain issues rationally and how to change those societal opinions cannot be heard over the shouts of "if you don't condemn everything I emotionally want you to condemn, you're a predator!," et cetera.

While it does occur that an "extreme" position is the right one (eg, "slavery is always wrong"), in most cases, extreme positions are emotional rather than rational, so anyone taking an extreme position should be subject to extra scrutiny.  It seems that, all too often, the opposite is happening, and the extreme positions are seen as the defaults, and any attempt to be less-than-extreme is scrutinized heavily, instead.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 23, 2016, 06:14 PM NHFT
I am sorry you are so sad about the FSP Jim.
On the brighter side, they have not thrown you under the bus this week like they did when Lauren was in jail.
I think those guys will always do crazy stuff.
Maybe that list is just missing all sorts of people.
Since you have been able to stay there Jim, you have done more than I have. But then I probably didn't make the list .... heck I was almost kicked out of the whole organization once (well at least once).
I once was part of all the conversations the FSP board has .... there is so much wordsmithing and handwringing, that it is easy for them to make mistakes.

You did make the list..... so did Kat, Lauren, and Pat K.

Mike Barskey
Lloyd
Dale Everett
Laura Edgington
Robert Constantine
Don & Cathleen
Kevin Freeheart
Bob Hull
Able Freeman
Menno Troyer
Ian Freeman
John Connell
Sandy Pierre
Sam Dodson

....a little less than 300 people.

Russell Kanning

maybe they were the ones nominated .... maybe just the memories of 3 people who whipped up a list.
Maybe list compiled by Keene PD and they are not going to acknowledge your existence until you can prove you are not me. :)

Tom Sawyer

It's kind of hard to forgive Jim's whole  "I want to kill these Nazis... like our forefathers killed Nazis" statement to the press. That's right I've been looking into Johnson's shady past.   :o

For those that weren't around back in 2005... The FSP types that were upset with Lauren and Jim in New London. That's what got William and I mobilized. Of course William thought we going to go and break Lauren out of jail.  :icon_pirat:
The kid made the front page of the newspaper.

Jay

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 23, 2016, 07:04 PM NHFT
Maybe list compiled by Keene PD and they are not going to acknowledge your existence until you can prove you are not me. :)

lol

Becky Thatcher

;D 8)  That's right.  How could you possibly know who you are.

Jim Johnson

maybe they were the ones nominated .... maybe just the memories of 3 people who whipped up a list.

Oh, wait...  I'm talking to myself.

Russell Kanning

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 23, 2016, 07:17 PM NHFT
It's kind of hard to forgive Jim's whole  "I want to kill these Nazis... like our forefathers killed Nazis" statement to the press. That's right I've been looking into Johnson's shady past.   :o

For those that weren't around back in 2005... The FSP types that were upset with Lauren and Jim in New London. That's what got William and I mobilized. Of course William thought we going to go and break Lauren out of jail.  :icon_pirat:

....with severe prejudice.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Jim Johnson on March 23, 2016, 09:51 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 23, 2016, 07:17 PM NHFT

....with severe prejudice.

You have our permission to walk around mumbling random grumbles punctuated by momentary outburst of Turrette's. "Sons and daughters of whores!"

It works for me.  ;D

Free libertarian

Free libertarian

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 23, 2016, 06:19 PM NHFT
http://www.nhfair.com/recent_submissions

I can't imagine our efforts without your great ideas and props.

Thanks for the link to all the pictures.  Brought back some memories.

Russell Kanning

jay posted that link yesterday here

tI forgot about that great site
we have lost a lot of pictures here when the wiki stopped working and my freepress website
I gots to make the news, or record it and let others archive it :)

Tom Sawyer

For the folks pissed at the board of the FSP there is always FeenFest Somalia! Of course it's at Porcfest, but libertarians love semantics.   ;D