• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Cop Watch Participants

Started by TackleTheWorld, June 30, 2006, 08:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: Soundwave on January 03, 2007, 02:13 PM NHFT
I'd like to start a show on Cheshire TV devoted to cop watch.
Would anyone else be interested in this idea?

You betcha.
I can do the technical stuff.
But can the two of us can do a whole program?  How about starting with just a 5 or 10 minute segment for the Free Minds program?

FTL_Ian

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on January 03, 2007, 09:27 PM NHFT
How about starting with just a 5 or 10 minute segment for the Free Minds program?

Definitely the way to go.  Good way to practice editing, too!

Braddogg

Quote from: FTL_Ian on January 03, 2007, 11:13 PM NHFT
Quote from: TackleTheWorld on January 03, 2007, 09:27 PM NHFT
How about starting with just a 5 or 10 minute segment for the Free Minds program?

Definitely the way to go.  Good way to practice editing, too!

I used to love spending hours in an edit bay.  Ugh, but it's been years since I've been in it, I hate to think how much easier the process got in those years.  I remember hours with the analog systems; I stopped around the same time as the community TV station in the town next door got their first digital system.

Russell Kanning

If you make cop watch videos ... they can air it anytime on Cheshire TV. You could do updates on the Free Minds show also.
Soundwave ... you can set up a time if you want to .... and maybe a few of us can accompany you. Less fear in numbers... :)

d_goddard

For what it's worth... enter into things knowing what risks are being taken.
If someone being videoed discovers they were being videoed, and it was broadcast, you may run into some legal trouble.

Several of us are already (!) working to eliminate the stupid law that makes such prosecution possible (ie, the "Gannon bill").

Russell Kanning

Quote from: d_goddard on January 05, 2007, 04:25 PM NHFT
You should see how cops react when you have an entire crowd questioning them ..... and holding a camera. :)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: d_goddard on January 05, 2007, 09:21 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 05, 2007, 06:24 PM NHFT
Quote from: d_goddard on January 05, 2007, 04:25 PM NHFT
You should see how cops react when you have an entire crowd questioning them ..... and holding a camera. :)
Heh... yeah, there is the footage of Dave's "open carry incident".
I guess I didn't follow my own advice that time  >:D

Oh yes that reminds me Denis... my lawyer will be contacting you. ;D

Lloyd Danforth

Roger's avatar is on acid again

Tom Sawyer

Oh I see my lawyer is here...
Mr. Denis Goddard meet my learned counsel Mr. Lloyd "sugar cube" Danforth. ;D

d_goddard

I don't have time right now to give this post the attention it deserves, but I had to share...
I met a fellow at the "Gannon law" hearing yesterday, who had been similarly persecuted by our "protectors" here in NH.
This occurred in 2004. He testified that he had arson and death threats from his local chief of police. Fortunately he recorded the exchange and burned copies onto CD -- anybody want a copy?

he pointed me to some articles that suggest case law has already established that you can already legally audio record civil servants in some situations. Note that I have not had time to follow up on this at all, so please do your homework before you test the boundaries of the NH wiretap law.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/2000news/8_9d.htm

error

I'm far outside New Hampshire. Let the local chief of police TRY to come after me with arson and death threats.

TackleTheWorld

From the Portsmouth Herald

Secret taping upheld by state

By Karen Dandurant, Portsmouth Herald Staff Writer

PORTSMOUTH ? N.H. Assistant Attorney General N. William Delker called the action "reprehensible," but he upheld Boscawen attorney Paula Werme's right to tape conversations as part of her defense of her clients.

A complaint made in April by Portsmouth City Prosecutor Robert Ducharme is not the first made against Werme for taping conversations secretly, but she says she will continue doing what she does in order to protect her clients' interests.

Ducharme was prosecuting a case of the theft of a piece of evidence taken from a file in Portsmouth District Court. The evidence was allegedly stolen by Werme's client out of a folder in the family division of the court. It related to a juvenile case.

Werme's main practice involves child abuse cases. She said she works with the New Hampshire Division of Children, Youth and Families (DCYF), and believes that her clients should get everything on tape.

"Everything happens in closed meetings. A record is vital," said Werme. "As to the item taken from court, the case was in the final disposition phase and I say she had a right to take what she needed."

Werme did not represent the young woman in the child abuse case, but is representing her on the criminal charge.

The taping occurred because there was a question about whether an evidence list had been submitted in the juvenile case. Werme said she was told there was one, but couldn't get access to it.

She sent the woman to the Rockingham County Superior Court to get on tape from the clerk that no list existed.

"That judge lied, and I have seen him do it before,' said Werme. "If necessary, I will not even be the defense attorney, I will testify to that."

Werme sent the young woman to the court armed with a hidden tape recorder that she supplied. The woman asked a clerk specific questions about the evidence list relating to her child's case She was told there was none, and the taped conversation was sent to Ducharme as part of Werme's objection to a motion filed against her client by the prosecutor.

"It is my belief that secretly taping someone violates the law," said Ducharme, "so I wrote to the Attorney General's office for their opinion. In the meantime, I had to dismiss the criminal stealing charge because of the conflict of interest involved in having attorney Werme as the woman's defense lawyer."

"I told him (Ducharme) I was sending the tape to him," said Werme. "I think his report on my actions is the world's funniest police report."

Ducharme said because the clerk did not know she was being taped, it was wrong. He said people have a right to privacy.

But Werme said that, in this case, it isn't so. She said the clerk was a governmental employee, and the conversation took place in a public building. She said taping conversations in those situations are perfectly legal.

"I have my clients tape people on a daily basis," said Werme. "I do it because the DCYF lies. They really hate being taped."

If what she did is "reprehensible," Werme says she wonders why it was OK for police to wire the teen-age girl who helped bring about the conviction of Pame Smart in one of the state's most notorious murder trials.

"If it's wrong for me to tape someone in a public building, why is it right for them to tape a private citizen in a private place?" asked Werme.

"My action was no different than a police officer or other person who records a citizen in order to get a suspect to discuss a crime on tape. I want to get statements on tape in order to challenge statements made in court," she said.

Since the letter received from Delker said no crime had been committed, Ducharme has reinstated the charges against Werme's client and she has turned herself into police. Ducharme said the case is in the system, and she may be in court some time this month.

Werme did not let the assistant attorney general's critical statement pass. She wrote to him berating him for the "offhand remark," and promising that any further such comments made by him or any other person in the Attorney General's office, would result in legal action.

In her letter, Werme told Delker that his statement was disingenuous.

"You cannot possibly intend to take the position that what is legal and ethical for the government to do in the prosecution of a criminal matter is unethical for a defense attorney to do in defense of one," wrote Werme. "I personally take the position that the Constitution being a limitation on the conduct of government, it necessarily follows that what is legal to do unto the citizens is legal for the citizens to do unto the government."

TackleTheWorld

This story is dynamite, Denis!
I have a technical question concerning this sentence:

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on January 24, 2007, 09:50 AM NHFT
"It is my belief that secretly taping someone violates the law," said Ducharme, "so I wrote to the Attorney General's office for their opinion. In the meantime, I had to dismiss the criminal stealing charge because of the conflict of interest involved in having attorney Werme as the woman's defense lawyer."

The prosecutor had to drop charges because the defense attorney had a problem?
How does that make sense?
Next time anyone is accused, should they get a lawyer with a conflict of interest?

Quantrill

Quote from: d_goddard on January 24, 2007, 06:14 AM NHFT
I don't have time right now to give this post the attention it deserves, but I had to share...
I met a fellow at the "Gannon law" hearing yesterday, who had been similarly persecuted by our "protectors" here in NH.
This occurred in 2004. He testified that he had arson and death threats from his local chief of police. Fortunately he recorded the exchange and burned copies onto CD -- anybody want a copy?

I don't know that I need a copy but I'm sure that the local media would like copies if they don't already have them.  Even if these recordings are illegal I don't think it's illegal to air them/print quotes.  Sure, it can't be used as evidence in trial, but if copies showed up at Channel X's front door, they'd probably find some use for them/interview the Chief/go undercover and see if they have the same experience.  They always air those "undercover", "shocking" news stories and they tape stuff without the knowledge of others.

I'm assuming someone is keeping tabs on this Chief?  Address, habits, friends.  If you look hard enough you can find dirt on anyone.  Expose this A-hole and make him get a new job...

FTL_Ian

Lauren, do you know yet if your scanner can pick up KPD down in Winchester?  Or will we need to locate a unit up this way?

When we finally get a stream online, I'd like to link to it from FreeKeene.