• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Lauren Canario arrested in New London

Started by Kat Kanning, September 22, 2006, 10:16 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypertime McMultiverse

Ms. Canario has no standing as she was just a renter. The owner of the building protested the taking of the property, but in the end, he and five other owners settled with officials. The owner of the building she lived in received a $1.5 million settlement for the building, which was appraised at $638,000. He also got an extra $300,000 for another building. This chick was renting an apartment there. It doesn't matter if the owner of the building or Ms. Canario initially protested this. The owner, in the end, sold the building and got significantly more than what it was worth. Once that happened, this chick was trespassing. That's why she was arrested.

Now delete this message and show everyone how "free" this place is.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Hypertime McMultiverse on September 24, 2006, 11:26 AM NHFT
Ms. Canario has no standing as she was just a renter.
She was sitting at the time of her arrest.

Dave Ridley

Dave Ridley

Quote from: Francisck on September 24, 2006, 10:33 AM NHFT
I'm from new jersey if i call to protest this, would it help at all?

Francis do, please start calling!  We need you!  the numbers were posted on this thread yesterday.

JonM

Different building dawg!  Must one have standing to protest evil?  Must one be directly injured to stand up and say, "This is wrong!" to the world?  She is not taking them to court, she is simply protesting this evil so the world may be alerted.  One does not need standing to take a stand.

Kat Kanning

Kat Kanning

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=0b008486-ea97-4cd9-955e-767416b97461

New London ? When Sean Dickinson of Keene, N.H., learned that friend and property-rights activist Lauren Canario was arrested Friday for refusing to leave a Goshen Street property in the Fort Trumbull neighborhood, he knew he had to come to the city to show his support for her.

Dickinson was one of nine demonstrators from New Hampshire and New London who stood Saturday across from the police station on Eugene O'Neill Drive to protest Canario's arrest.

Dickinson held a pitchfork while others in the group held signs that read, ?Free Lauren Ann Canario,? ?Stop Eminent Domain Abuse? and ?Eminent Domain Central.?

?I really have a problem with eminent domain, especially to use it for private reasons,? said Dickinson, who says the pitchfork is symbolic of the peasants rising. ?There is no excuse to arrest her. I think she believes really strongly that eminent domain is wrong. She is willing to pay the piper for her beliefs.?

Canario, 49, moved to New London from Las Vegas last year to help homeowners in the Fort Trumbull neighborhood fight the city's plan to take over their homes by eminent domain.

The homeowners ultimately lost a battle that reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

The last of the neighborhood's holdouts agreed to sell their homes to the New London Development Corp. in May and June. The vacant homes have recently been drawing homeless people.

Canario's husband, Jim Johnson, was holding the sign ?Eminent Domain Central.? He said he did not understand why his wife was arrested because all she was doing was reading a book on the porch of a home that used to be owed by Pasquale Cristofaro and his family.

Johnson said Canario did not live at the residence where she was arrested but was staying in a property on Smith Street formerly owned by William Von Winkle, one of the last Fort Trumbull property owners to sell.

?Lauren believes that the property was stolen down there,? said Johnson, who spends his time in New London and New Hampshire, where he hopes the couple will live once Canario ends her battle with the city. ?This is the shame of eminent domain. She is going to stay here until they strip the land bare. I don't ever believe they are ever going to start building there.?

Johnson believes it was the New London Development Corp. that called the police on his wife.

Capt. William Dittman said that a call came into the dispatch center that a television news crew was in the area.

In checking out that report, police discovered Canario was on the property.

Canario was charged Friday with first-degree criminal trespass, interfering with a police officer and failure to be fingerprinted. She was being held on a $5,000 bond and will be arraigned Monday in New London Superior Court.

When she was arrested, she gave police addresses in Nevada and New Hampshire.

Johnson said he has not spoken to his wife since her arrest.

Local protesters Bob Stuller and Lloyd and Sandra Beachy were there to show support for Canario.

The Beachys were arrested nearly six years ago when they attempted to block the demolition of a home on East Street.

?I'm here simply because Lauren is totally right in her assessment of Fort Trumbull,? said Lloyd Beachy. ?I'm here to support her in any way I can. Somebody has to stand up for what is just and fair.?

Canario was also arrested last year in City Hall after she refused to leave an overcrowded City Council Chamber. She was jailed for 15 days.

Revmar

I just sent an email to each of the New London Councilors and the mayor and Deputy Mayor of New London.  On Monday I'll be calling each of them also.  I wish I could be there holding signs,  :bs: but at least those of us far away can write and call.  Let them see Lauren has support all around the country and that their actions are being watched by more than the locals.   :glasses9:

Kat Kanning

Thanks so much! 

If they keep her longer than tomorrow, we can probably write to her also, so she won't think she's been abandoned.

Kat Kanning

Oh I found an email address for the new london police:

brinehart@ci.new-london.ct.us

Kat Kanning

BTW, this arrest was a year and two days after her last arrest. 

error

I've updated my blog post with the YouTube video of Lauren's arrest and some extra mockery of the New London Police.

Revmar

Quote from: Kat Kanning on September 24, 2006, 01:46 PM NHFT
Oh I found an email address for the new london police:

brinehart@ci.new-london.ct.us

Thanks, I sent off an email to them also.  Oh, and below is the first, sort of, response I've gotten.  Not the kind of reply I'd of gotten here in Milwaukee where politicians only know how to use the delete button.

Hi, Mark:

Charles is not feeling well today, but I will give him a copy of your message.
He's also concerned about this and will do what he can.  Thank you for
writing.

Mrs. Frink

Mr. Frink

> I am a bit at a loss as to why a woman like Lauren Canario is being held by
> the police of New London for essentially sitting of the porch of an abandoned
> building, a property that the city worked to steal from the rightful owners
> by use of Eminent Domain.  How does it hurt anyone to sit and read on
> property not being used at the time?  Please do what you can to help free
> Lauren.

> Thank you
> Mark Sahba