• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Liberty Movies

Started by Kat Kanning, March 28, 2005, 07:57 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

tracysaboe

You didn't like FIREFLY?

You liked Serinity though right?

Russell Kanning

Michael Fisher

Sophie's Choice illustrates the illusion of choice that is the nature of a monopoly government.

Sophie's Choice (1982)
http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0084707/

Genre: Drama / Romance (more)

Plot Summary: Sophie is the survivor of Nazi concentration camps, who has found a reason to live in Nathan...

User Comments: One of THE most powerful movies I've EVER seen. Her "choice" is gut-wrenching.

Kat Kanning

That movie was sooo horrible.  Sad sad sad.

Kat Kanning

We made it through about 10 minutes of firefly...I couldn't stand all the glorification of killing.

Tom Sawyer

Watched "The Great Escape" today with our son William 4. He said he would escape if they put him in a cage.
A good freedom movie. :)

Russell Kanning

We also watched Papillon ..... the man that outlasted an entire penal system.

9thmoon

Wow.  Firefly and Serenity are so anti-government and pro-capitalist and pro-freedom.  Not in the cliche "down wit da man!" kind of way, either.  I'm a cave dweller and I didn't even think they were that violent. 
(Serenity got violent at the end, but I only had to look away from the screen once, and by hollywood standards, that's nothing.)
In fact, I'm going to see Serenity again tonight, while I can still see it in the theater.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: russellkanning on November 01, 2005, 07:17 PM NHFT
We also watched Papillon ..... the man that outlasted an entire penal system.

The book was so much better than the movie. Also the sequel to the book - Banco.

Eli

Quote from: katdillon on November 01, 2005, 05:49 PM NHFT
We made it through about 10 minutes of firefly...I couldn't stand all the glorification of killing.
? Kat, hate to say it, but if you thought the first 10 minutes of firefly was glorifying violence, then you missed the point.? It's about a soldier's loss of faith in government and big causes, not about violence.

Eli

But I will resist the urge to evangelize further about this topic.

9thmoon

Okay, having seen it again last night, Serenity _was_ kind of violent.
Still a good moral, though. 

KBCraig

I haven't seen Serenity or Firefly, so I can't comment on those movies. But in general, many movies that could otherwise be enjoyable are ruined through gratuitous violence or foul language.

Not all violence is gratuitous, and sometimes it's essential to the story. Mel Gibson's The Patriot is one good example. We Were Soldiers is another. Heck, if we're on a Mel Gibson streak, we might as well throw in Braveheart.

Gibson is also at the other end of the spectrum, with mindless, pointless shoot-em-ups like the Lethal Weapon series. Movies like that have no point at all other than running around blasting things.

In between, we have dramas and action movies that might not have any particular message, but they're ruined as entertainment because they want to focus on blood and gore. Whatever happened to the moviemaker's craft, where what's not seen is as essential as what is?

Eli

Firefly was TV.  All the gratuitous cursing was in chinese.

Pat K

Well fuckity fuck fuck fuck!