• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

House building ideas

Started by Russell Kanning, February 25, 2007, 11:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Pat K on March 02, 2007, 06:33 PM NHFT
masonry heaters

ohhh masonry heaters... I want to build one... with a pizza oven... mmmmm pizza.... ;D

We were fantasizing that Jim and Lauren should have one at Porc Manor.  8)

Lloyd Danforth

Lex

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 02, 2007, 05:31 PM NHFT
where is that book?

I lent it to you on the day of Ians first Keene meetup when lots of folks came down. It's a book by this guy who builds very cheap underground houses. Kat was there, she may remember. I hope you still have it  :o

Tom Sawyer

Along with his drinking problem Russell is a kleptomaniac. ;D

Russell Kanning

I don't know why I would have brought it home. I am not really interested in building an underground home .... I thumbed through it at the meeting .... I don't like to borrow books from people and have to return them later. But I will look. I don't own hardly any books.

Pat K

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 02, 2007, 08:19 PM NHFT
Along with his drinking problem Russell is a kleptomaniac. ;D

Maybe we should have an intervention. :)

Lloyd Danforth

You know what happened at the last intervention.  Russell got drunk and there were all kinds of things missing

Incrementalist

I saw First Day cottages mentioned in this thread already.  If you're going to build a conventional structure, they're the way to go. 

But if you really want to build and live in an innovative "green" structure, Earthships can't be beat.  You can live totally off the grid.  Check out www.earthship.org

cathleeninnh

I imagine the cost skyrockets.

Cathleen

Russell Kanning

actually if you read their materials ... it is about the same as standard building prices per square foot.
Earthships are my favorite design.

Russell Kanning

I like the idea of a hobbit hole with a greenhouse attached to the front .... and big doors.

Lex

Russell, any luck finding my under ground house book? Maybe Kat knows where it might be?

Russell Kanning

Nope :(
I have about 10 books in the house and some borrowed ones.

Lex

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 30, 2007, 10:03 AM NHFT
Nope :(
I have about 10 books in the house and some borrowed ones.

Did you check the car? Maybe in the trunk or something?

Russell Kanning

definitely not in the car .... maybe built into a wall around here.