• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I hope this is the right topic for this part of the forum so here goes.......

Started by Raineyrocks, March 26, 2007, 05:47 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

I'm wondering if there is a way to quickly diversify some fiat, (I guess that's what it's called, regular US dollars),currency and what should I choose?  What I mean is I want a way to be able to pay my mortgage, bills and get food, ect. if our economy collapses.  I can't afford to buy $700 gold coins, should I and could I exchange US currency for a different countries currency?  If so would it do me any good still living in the US?  If this is a good idea how do I do it?

I hope these aren't stupid questions I really don't know how this stuff works. I keep reading about diversification if the economy collapses and I'm not sure what that means and how much money I would need to even do it.  I think these ideas have been kicked around on here before but they were confusing, (I need real simple replies that I can understand).

Here's something to I was thinking, you know how on EBAY they have those bags of coins real cheap, they say contain some valuable coins?  I'll give you a better example first I have to switch over to firefox so I can operate a couple sites at the same time, so hold on and I will post another post but still pertaining to this ebay ??? so it will be a continuation of this post.........

Raineyrocks

Okay here's the Ebay page I was talking about:  What do you think about these kinds of listings?  I hope I copied and pasted this right so it can be understood. I'm trying to do this quickly so I can make dinner and I'm nervous plus my daughter needs the internet for school so I have to log off and will check back later to see if anyone can help me.  Thanks and I hope I'm not being a pain! :)

Listed in category:    Coins & Paper Money > Coins: US > Collections, Lots

$100000.00 GOLD and SILVER Premium LOT w/key dates
See list coins.Morgan ,Peace,Franklins,Eagles,Merc etc   Item number: 120102127281   

Current bid:   US $230.50    
Place Bid >
End time:   3 hours 59 mins (Mar-26-07 19:48:35 PDT)
Shipping costs:   
US $29.95
Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service
Service to United States
(more services)
Ships to:   Worldwide
Item location:   Ridgeland, Mississippi, United States
History:   4 bids
High bidder:   User ID kept private

Starting time:   Mar-25-07 19:48:35 PDT
Starting bid:   US $9.95
Duration:   1-day listing
   This is a Featured Plus! listing

Meet the seller
Seller:   coinsat10( 1688Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Member:   since May-09-05 in United States

Score: 1688 | 99.4% Positive

Description    

NO JUNK

****35 Different Coins****

****KEY DATE****

****PCGS****

****NGC****

****GOLD****

****MORGAN DOLLAR****

****PEACE DOLLAR****

****SILVER EAGLE****

SEE LIST BELOW

Please don't be cheap this is not a CHEAP lot.

6 of the coins DOLLARS

Every Lot will have a certified GOLD PIECE with a Trend value of 800.00 to 3700.00  in it.Then you will receive  34  more certified gold , silver,copper and proofs coins that will make total book value of over 100,000.00  all lots will have KEY DATES.

I am willing to try and sell down my inventory by selling them in these premium lots these are the only ones of this quality I have seen on ebay in my opinion.I have thousands and thousands of coins I am trying to sell off don't just at 1 of these lots buy several you will be pleased.

Lot contents

This is a Min of grades and coins also it is what is pictured.

ALL COINS !!!

Certified SBA Dollar min MS66

Certified Silver Roosevelt Dime min ms64

Certified $5.00 Gold Eagle graded MS70

Certified Lincoln Wheat Cent min MS65RED

Certified Sac Dollar min MS65

Certified Silver Washington Quarter min MS65

Certified State Quarter min MS65

Certified Lincoln Wheat cent NGC MS66RED

Certified Silver Roosevevlt Dime min MS66

Certified Silver Roosevelt Dime min MS65

Certified Buffalo Nickel min Fine15

Certified State Quarter min MS66

Certified Morgan Dollar min MS65

Certified Silver Washington Quarter Min MS64

Certified Silver Washington Quarter min MS66

Certified Lincoln sm date 1960 min 65Red Key Date

Certified Lincoln Wheat Cent min MS66RED

Certified State Quarter min MS67

Certified Silver Washington Quarter min MS67

Certified Lincoln WHEAT Cent min MS68RED

Certified IKE DOLLAR min MS66

Certified State Quarter min MS68

Certified Silver Roosevelt MS67

Certified State Quarter min MS64

Certified SILVER EAGLE DOLLAR Graded MS70

Certified PCGS Lincoln Wheat Cent min 64RED

Certified Mercury Dime min MS66

Certified Silver Kennedy Half min MS67

Certified Kennedy Half min MS66

Certified Franklin Half min MS65

Certified Franklin Half with FBL

Certified Washington Quarter min MS68

AND

A Certified Peace Dollar min MS65

No combine shipping on these lots.

Allow 10 days to 2 weeks for shipping.

PHOTOS ARE  OF COINS listed in lot.

Shipping
Shipping,packing and insurance is $29.95 inside the U.S. and $59.95 outside the U.S.

Payment
Paypal OK ,money orders or personal checks will be held until the check clears.

Shipping and handling
Ships to
Worldwide

Shipping and Handling   To    Service
US $29.95     
United States
   Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service
US $59.95     
Worldwide
   Standard Int'l Flat Rate Shipping

Shipping and Handling   To   Service
US $29.95     United States   Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service

Shipping insurance
Included (in the shipping and handling cost)
Return policy
Item must be returned within:   

3 Days

Refund will be given as:   

Merchandise Credit

Return policy details:   

Returns must be postmarked within 3 days of your receiving item(s).
After 3 days, absolutely no returns will be accepted. Don't ASK.
Credit given will always be 100% of auction price paid.

Payment details
Payment method   Preferred/Accepted   Buyer protection on eBay
Credit or debit card through PayPal
   Seller Preferred   

Up to $2,000 in buyer protection.  See eligibility
Money order/Cashiers check
   Accepted    

Not Available
Personal check
   Accepted    

Not Available
Other - See Payment Instructions for payment methods accepted
   Accepted    

Not Available
Learn about payment methods
Seller's payment instructions
Paypal Not Accepted From Outside U.S. PayPal OK up to $500. Checks/Money Orders accepted for any amount. Send To: Coins At 10 PO Box 12414 Jackson, MS 39236
Help
Take action on this item
Item title: $100000.00 GOLD and SILVER Premium LOT w/key dates
Place a bid
Current bid:    US $230.50
Your maximum bid:   
US $
            (Enter US $233.00 or more)
   Place Bid >  You will confirm in the next step.
eBay automatically bids on your behalf up to your maximum bid. Learn about bidding.
You can also     

This is a private listing. Your identity will not be disclosed to anyone except for the seller.

MaineShark

Quote from: raineyrocks on March 26, 2007, 05:47 PM NHFTI'm wondering if there is a way to quickly diversify some fiat, (I guess that's what it's called, regular US dollars),currency and what should I choose?  What I mean is I want a way to be able to pay my mortgage, bills and get food, ect. if our economy collapses.  I can't afford to buy $700 gold coins, should I and could I exchange US currency for a different countries currency?  If so would it do me any good still living in the US?  If this is a good idea how do I do it?

I hope these aren't stupid questions I really don't know how this stuff works. I keep reading about diversification if the economy collapses and I'm not sure what that means and how much money I would need to even do it.  I think these ideas have been kicked around on here before but they were confusing, (I need real simple replies that I can understand).

Buy silver, if you can't afford gold :)

Actually, though, what matters is value.  Something doesn't have to be a coin and have the name of some government on it to have value.  Buy things that are easy to store, and which have inherent value.  If you're planning for post-economic-collapse, buy things that may be in short supply, but which people will still want, as the law of supply and demand will increase their value.  On the other hand, things which will be very valuable may not be useful, as someone has to have an item or items of equal value to obtain them from you, so small, divisible things may work well.  Or diversify... get some more-valuable items for much of your investment, but have small, divisible items (cases of ammunition, for example) that you can use to buy eggs and the like :)

Joe

error

Keep in mind, also, that when the economy does collapse, the relative value of things is going to change dramatically, as people focus more on the essentials of life.

LiveFree

You've got some guns (at least a rifle or shotgun for home defense, pistol for self defense while out and about), right?  Ammo would be a good idea if you're trying to get ready for a societal or economic collapse.  Water filters are also good.

Something like this  http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=130800&Category_Code=11  is pretty expensive, but that particular filter is good for THOUSANDS of gallons of water.  That store also has less expensive models, but they don't last as long.

Silver is also good.  Odds are, though, if you're squirreling away money into something to remain economically viable (not just alive), you could possibly invest that and make more money instead of just letting it sit, and squirrel away some of the profits in something like silver.

error

Quote from: LiveFree on March 26, 2007, 08:07 PM NHFT
You've got some guns (at least a rifle or shotgun for home defense, pistol for self defense while out and about), right?

No, but I'm in the market.

MaineShark

Quote from: error on March 26, 2007, 08:30 PM NHFT
Quote from: LiveFree on March 26, 2007, 08:07 PM NHFTYou've got some guns (at least a rifle or shotgun for home defense, pistol for self defense while out and about), right?
No, but I'm in the market.

What are you looking for?

(okay, that's off-topic, so maybe PM is better)

Joe

Lloyd Danforth

In times of inflation, just buying things you will need over the next few years anyway, like food, paper goods and fuel, , ahead of time, can represent a good return on your money.  Getting used to using storable things like beans and rice is a good idea.
So.....you tie up some of your extra money in as much future food and other consumables as you can afford, perhaps all at once or a little extra each shopping day.  Once you have acquired it you use it, turning it over, and replace it as you shop.
If inflation raises the price of these things, you win!  If the shit hits the fan and the availability of food is limited , you win.  We always hear that there is a three day supply of food at our supermarkets before they need to get deliveries.  If the Teamsters Union wanted to, they could cripple the entire country by blocking highway entrances and exits with their trucks and shooting the tires out.
If nothing goes wrong you still have the food and stuff to use and while it might not rise in cost as much as Silver might rise in value, it is easier to use and tastes better.

KBCraig

Ammunition is a valuable commodity, even if you don't own a gun in that caliber. It's also a decent investment, although new buyers have definitely missed the bargain period. It keeps going up, though, and should be expected to continue to climb. After a SHTF situation, it's going to be remarkably more valuable, and there's no assurance of new supplies coming on the market.

I'd suggest a case of .22LR, plus as much of the following as you're comfortable buying at one time: 12 gauge (in hunting/defense loads), .223/5.56, .308/7.62, .30-06, 9mm, and .38 Special.

Guns and ammunition don't have to be for violent overthrow of the power structure. In an economic meltdown, they'll be important for two simultaneous reasons: self defense, and harvesting game. And ammo in common calibers will always be a valuable trading commodity.

Of course, you'll also want to make sure you're well stocked in your own calibers, and reloading supplies are something to consider.

Kevin

MaineShark

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on March 26, 2007, 09:47 PM NHFTWe always hear that there is a three day supply of food at our supermarkets before they need to get deliveries.  If the Teamsters Union wanted to, they could cripple the entire country by blocking highway entrances and exits with their trucks and shooting the tires out.

I think they would rapidly find their trucks shoved off the road with any available bulldozers.

Joe

Lloyd Danforth

That would stop after the first bulldozer operator was killed.  There are 1.5 million members.  If they wanted to cripple the country, they could.

error

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on March 27, 2007, 07:07 AM NHFT
That would stop after the first bulldozer operator was killed.  There are 1.5 million members.  If they wanted to cripple the country, they could.

What do you mean, "if" they want to cripple the country?

MaineShark

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on March 27, 2007, 07:07 AM NHFTThat would stop after the first bulldozer operator was killed.  There are 1.5 million members.  If they wanted to cripple the country, they could.

There are a lot more gun owners than that.  And people who know how to make Molotav cocktails.

People who are threatened with starvation don't have much to lose.  Are Teamsters (even any large fraction of that 1.5 million) willing to face down mobs of angry people who want to tear them limb-from-limb, just to make a few dollars?  I don't think even one in a thousand would be that crazy.

If they wanted to refuse to work, that's one thing.  Blocking the roadways is another.  If their roadblocks are effective, where are all the people trying to escape the cities going to end up?  Right at the roadblock.  Wouldn't take long before the majority of those manning the roadblocks bolted, and the few that remained would be killed pretty quickly.  Then people would come in with dozers.

Someone tries to starve my family, I'm sure as hell going hunting.  And I'm going to go for gut-shots, if I can.  People like that deserve a slow death.

Joe

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on March 26, 2007, 06:03 PM NHFT

Buy silver, if you can't afford gold :)

Actually, though, what matters is value.  Something doesn't have to be a coin and have the name of some government on it to have value.  Buy things that are easy to store, and which have inherent value.  If you're planning for post-economic-collapse, buy things that may be in short supply, but which people will still want, as the law of supply and demand will increase their value.  On the other hand, things which will be very valuable may not be useful, as someone has to have an item or items of equal value to obtain them from you, so small, divisible things may work well.  Or diversify... get some more-valuable items for much of your investment, but have small, divisible items (cases of ammunition, for example) that you can use to buy eggs and the like :)

Joe

Thanks, I know I need to stop going into panic mode every time I hear negative things for the future, it's just really scary, especially when I of course worry more about my kids than myself. Cathleen gave me really good advice last time I was scared and I am using her advice as I will use yours. My husband said worrying about the mortgage is going to be the least of our problems, there will be so much chaos in this country. Thanks again!

Raineyrocks

Quote from: LiveFree on March 26, 2007, 08:07 PM NHFT
You've got some guns (at least a rifle or shotgun for home defense, pistol for self defense while out and about), right?  Ammo would be a good idea if you're trying to get ready for a societal or economic collapse.  Water filters are also good.

Something like this  http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=130800&Category_Code=11  is pretty expensive, but that particular filter is good for THOUSANDS of gallons of water.  That store also has less expensive models, but they don't last as long.

Silver is also good.  Odds are, though, if you're squirreling away money into something to remain economically viable (not just alive), you could possibly invest that and make more money instead of just letting it sit, and squirrel away some of the profits in something like silver.

Yes, we have all of that except water filters. I have water purification tablets but I bookmarked the link you gave me for the filter, thanks!  What kind of silver is valuable?