• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Property Tax Revolt?

Started by FTL_Ian, April 24, 2005, 09:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CNHT

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on January 04, 2006, 06:08 PM NHFT

If NH has low taxes compared to other states, it's a perfect place to take 'em down even further. 
The relative freedom was built mostly before the FSP got here by the admirable people of NH. 
The original New Hamshirers have fought the tax beast for a long time. 
Let's not just sip cocoa on our couches and enjoy all their work, let's get in there and take a few bites of our own

Isn't that what the FSPers signed up for?

You got it Lauren! We call ourselves New Hampshirites. And the bulk of the taxation occurs at the TOWN level which is why it's imperative to get to the deliberative sessions and town meetings and raise hell.

For example, last year, the good but oppressed people of Merrimack voted that if there were a surplus in the budget, it shall be returned to the taxpayers. However the selectmen REFUSE to do this. Time to get your pitchforks IMHO!  Now the town moderator is arguing with me on the Merrimack Forum saying they are going to trash any petitions submitted by the people, petitions that would place items on the ballot by CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to be there WITHOUT AMENDMENT!

The group that formed in Merrimack is new and I am trying to arm them with the facts, but I think they are going to have to bring a Constitutional lawyer with them.

This is why local political action is so important and not letting town officials have their way at these 200+ year old meetings where they can vote up spending and suck the landowners dry.

10 years ago two people took office in Merrimack and have caused the spending to increase 61% and now the young families are freaking out and feeling the damage. Some newcomers do not realize that this is where most of the tax damage comes from and NEED to attend and rally at these meetings and vote all spending DOWN.

Here is but one outrageous item: Merrimack has already spent $9,000 to have a website company make a 'presentation' to them for their proposed $200,000 site. When it was voted to stop that expenditure, they said they would get the money elsewhere in the budget, again illegal!

If you don't stick up for your rights, you will lose them.... I am sure Lauren is one who believes that!

Russell Kanning

I have never declined paying the highway tax, because I am as desirous of being a good neighbor as I am of being a bad subject; and as for supporting schools, I am doing my part to educate my fellow countrymen now. It is for no particular item in the tax bill that I refuse to pay it. I simply wish to refuse allegiance to the State, to withdraw and stand aloof from it effectually. I do not care to trace the course of my dollar, if I could, till it buys a man a musket to shoot one with--the dollar is innocent--but I am concerned to trace the effects of my allegiance. In fact, I quietly declare war with the State, after my fashion, though I will still make use and get what advantages of her I can, as is usual in such cases.

CNHT

Quote from: russellkanning on February 28, 2006, 01:20 PM NHFT
I have never declined paying the highway tax, because I am as desirous of being a good neighbor as I am of being a bad subject; and as for supporting schools, I am doing my part to educate my fellow countrymen now. It is for no particular item in the tax bill that I refuse to pay it. I simply wish to refuse allegiance to the State, to withdraw and stand aloof from it effectually. I do not care to trace the course of my dollar, if I could, till it buys a man a musket to shoot one with--the dollar is innocent--but I am concerned to trace the effects of my allegiance. In fact, I quietly declare war with the State, after my fashion, though I will still make use and get what advantages of her I can, as is usual in such cases.

People can also refuse to pay their property taxes but this is dangerous simply because in 3 years they can lose the home.
I often wish I could not pay the part of my taxes that go for schools, about $5,000, because not only do I not like the way the money is spent, I have never even had a kid in the schools and never will.
But I would lose my house and that would not be financially practical.

Russell Kanning

I thought that quote from Thoreau was good.
I am advocating that in order to achieve change, we will have to individually not co-operate with the government.
I think Ghandi said that you are only free after you are no longer afraid ...... one thing to be afraid of is loosing our possessions.
Jesus also said to not worry about food or clothes. Matt. 6:25
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=6&version=49#en-NASB-23308

CNHT

Quote from: russellkanning on February 28, 2006, 02:05 PM NHFT
I am advocating that in order to achieve change, we will have to individually not co-operate with the government.
I think Ghandi said that you are only free after you are no longer afraid ...... one thing to be afraid of is loosing our possessions.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=6&version=49#en-NASB-23308

Well if I lost my home, where would I live? I would in effect just be giving *several* hundred thousands dollars MORE to those I don't want to pay in the first place!
Think about that!    :'(

Russell Kanning

Why leave when they tell you to leave.
You are willing to defend your well with a gun from others, you could do the same thing with your whole house. :)

FrankChodorov

Quote from: CNHT on February 28, 2006, 02:10 PM NHFT
Quote from: russellkanning on February 28, 2006, 02:05 PM NHFT

Well if I lost my home, where would I live? I would in effect just be giving *several* hundred thousands dollars MORE to those I don't want to pay in the first place!

no - the property would be sold (market value not personal utility value) and you would walk away with the equity minus the property taxes you owe...

Russell Kanning

If we do what we have been doing, then property taxes will slowly go up. If you want that to change, we will have to do something different.
I am choosing to not pay.

CNHT

Quote from: CNHT on February 28, 2006, 02:10 PM NHFT
Quote from: FrankChodorov on February 28, 2006, 02:22 PM NHFT
no - the property would be sold (market value not personal utility value) and you would walk away with the equity minus the property taxes you owe...

Hmm, meanwhile, where would I go?

Lloyd Danforth

I'm sure you love your house, but, you could consider moving your equity to a smaller town where your money would buy more and you might have more say in a smaller local government.
Also, you could do whatever you could to make your move a media event. "Retire Flees Bedford due to out of control taxes!"

CNHT

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on March 06, 2006, 10:07 AM NHFT
I'm sure you love your house, but, you could consider moving your equity to a smaller town where your money would buy more and you might have more say in a smaller local government.
Also, you could do whatever you could to make your move a media event. "Retire Flees Bedford due to out of control taxes!"

Well the media has already covered several people who have had to do that, and all one needs to do is look at the housing sales etc...

As for smaller towns, they are usually higher in taxes so I would get less for my money if I built elsewhere. I talked about moving further into the woods but since I no longer have a man living with me full time, it would be tough to run a household out on my own that far from civilization. (It's tough running one alone as is, even though I am the truck driving pioneer woman that I am.. )

Otherwise that is what we would have done together had my beloved survived ? downsize and go out further.

Russell Kanning

Can't give in to the "Man".

Lloyd Danforth

Jane, I doubt that higher taxes in small towns  is true outside of the southern Merrimac valley.
Also, you are setting the Womans Movement back 30 years with your other statement.

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on March 06, 2006, 12:06 PM NHFT
Jane, I doubt that higher taxes in small towns  is true outside of the southern Merrimac valley.

Tax rates and total taxation are very specific to each location. Yet another loveable quirk about NH.

QuoteAlso, you are setting the Womans Movement back 30 years with your other statement.

That she needs a man? There are a sizeable number of folks out there who share the view that men and women are complementary; they need each other in order to be complete. For some, it goes back to a strict Biblical view of Adam & Eve. For others, it's a totally secular, and kinky, variation of dominance & submission, or D/s. There exists a broad range in between, and we can't forget that the dominant gender is reversed in some folks' preference.

Mary and I are entirely complementary. We each serve a role in the marriage and family relationship, a role defined by our abilities, not by our genitalia.

The "Womens' Movement" of 30 years ago wouldn't look kindly on Mary's choice to move from indpendent single mother and business owner, to happily married woman, and her goal of being an at-home home-schooling mother. The women of 2006 are free to choose whether or not they wish to be enslaved and subjugated.

For their complementary partners, this is a good thing.  >:D

Kevin

Kat Kanning

I'm all for complimentary genitalia.