• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Civil Disobedience

Started by Michael Fisher, April 11, 2005, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

TackleTheWorld

True, here is the BBC story:

Mexican police retake riot town
Mexican police say they are now in control of the town of San Salvador Atenco after a day of clashes with locals armed with machetes.
Six police officers taken hostage by the rioters had been released, state of Mexico officials said on Thursday.

A teenage boy was killed and dozens of people were injured in the riots which lasted throughout Wednesday.

The violence erupted when three street vendors were arrested on suspicion of trading without permits.
Local residents are then reported to have attacked police with machetes and petrol bombs, and blocked the main road.

Police fired tear gas into the crowds and used batons. Dozens of protesters were arrested - among them a prominent peasant movement leader, Ignacio del Valle.

Boy's death 'unclear'

Local reports say up to 50 police officers were injured in the clashes - a number of them seriously.

Six of them were taken hostage by the armed protesters, who later handed them over to the Red Cross.

Officials in the state, which borders Mexico City, said the circumstances surrounding the death of a 14-year-old boy were unclear.

Police said they had managed to make it into the centre of town at about 0700 (1200 GMT) on Thursday and had re-opened the road.

An estimated 4,000 federal and state police are reported to be in Atenco area.

The town was the scene of violent protests in 2002, when local farmers opposed the construction of a new international airport for Mexico City.

Plans for the airport were cancelled after days of pitched battles with police.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/4974116.stm

Published: 2006/05/04 17:19:17 GMT

? BBC MMVI

[attachment deleted by admin]

TackleTheWorld

When Im discouraged or depressed at political unresponsiveness,
I look at that picture of the riot-clad police - out of breath - and running from an angry sea of citizens,
and I feel much better. :toothy10:

Tunga

A teenage boy was killed and dozens of people were injured in the riots which lasted throughout Wednesday.

Cannon fodder.

Take notice Matt.

When your number gets called, you might consider, not   responding?

your rational friends in the underground might forgive you.

If your still breathing and not requiring medical assistance that is. ;)

Tunga

The solutions afforded the bullet while cheap, are somewhat permanent.
Choose wisely.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on May 07, 2006, 09:33 AM NHFT
When Im discouraged or depressed at political unresponsiveness,
I look at that picture of the riot-clad police - out of breath - and running from an angry sea of citizens,
and I feel much better. :toothy10:

Made my day... thanks for the picture ;D ;D ;D

Recumbent ReCycler

Uniform...$150
Riot gear...$500
Realizing that the people are not going to take your oppressive assaults on their liberty anymore...Priceless  ;D

Michael Fisher

QuoteAn estimated 4,000 federal and state police are reported to be in Atenco area.

That's what you get with violence: perhaps you win liberty for a little while, but reality will catch up with you.

That said, selling flowers is a great idea for an act of nonviolent noncooperation against vendor permit laws.

tracysaboe

QuoteThat's what you get with violence: perhaps you win liberty for a little while, but reality will catch up with you.

My point exactly. (I think it was in the other thread though.)

Tracy

cathleeninnh

Quote from: Michael Fisher on May 09, 2006, 07:45 AM NHFT

That said, selling flowers is a great idea for an act of nonviolent noncooperation against vendor permit laws.

With a note attached to each flower declaring to be a protest against vendor permits and that all proceeds go to benefit the LSF!

Cathleen

Michael Fisher

John

I've not read this thread since I-don't-know-when, but was thinking that before today turrns into from the 9th, I should say Thank You Again to Mike Fisher.

Mike, You and others here have set my mind & heart in a new direction.  For me, the transition is  . . . just . . . well, what can I say . . . I'd just like to think that I was there at a starting line & and that maybe I'll be with you all at the finish.

I know that some of you will tell me that when I just get off of the damned tread-wheel that you will be there waiting.  But, I just can't seem to stop yet.  However, as I run, I keep thinking that you guys & gals might just have it right.  Maybe I was there at the finish, and just haven't chosen to see it yet.

I'm not-at-all religious, but lately I can't seem to think of better words than the ones which keep coming into my head when I think of you all: God bless them!

John

May 9th, 2005