• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tiny houses!

Started by Puke, December 08, 2007, 06:05 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

StaggerLee

I love those houses, the only thing is I love a fireplace. . . but I suppose I could just build a fire outside lol

I wonder if anyone actually has one because I'd like to see how small it actually is. . I'm a big guy

T

dalebert

Quote from: StaggerLee on December 11, 2007, 08:49 AM NHFT
I'm a big guy

Just get in the habit of turning around slowly and not standing up too quickly.

Beth221

Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky-tacky,
Little boxes, little boxes,
Little boxes, all the same.

There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses
All go to the university,
And they all get put in boxes,

And there's doctors and there's lawyers
And business executives,

Dan said that we would need "his" and "Hers" tiny houses, and one for the dog! 

dalebert

That's the theme song for weeds!

John Edward Mercier

I love those houses, the only thing is I love a fireplace. . . but I suppose I could just build a fire outside lol

I wonder if anyone actually has one because I'd like to see how small it actually is. . I'm a big guy

T

Walk into someone's detached one bay garage... not a perfect sense of space... but close.

Puke

jaqeboy

Quote from: Puke on December 09, 2007, 07:06 AM NHFT
Well shit! Sorry for repeating old posts. I'm new, I don't know what to do.

Quote from: jaqeboy on December 08, 2007, 10:53 PM NHFT
I'm already in discussions with them to be a dealer / builder for them in the NorthEast. Want to help me build a few? There are other plans afoot to develop a community of the tiny homes with a larger community building, but those plans'll take a while.

That's awesome. I get very frustrated at the sizes of homes. I have often wondered why there are no housing divisions with economical and moderately sized homes? I would like something the size of an apartment, on my own property, with a garage.
I suppose with the economy going to shit there could be a trend towards smaller homes again.

Yeah, Jay Shafer, the Tumbleweed guy, built his first one in a friend's backyard and got busted because it was too small (probably an ordinance to restrict rooming houses, requiring a certain amount of square footage per person. He jacked it up and put wheels on it and it then qualified as a mobile home and he was in the clear. That'll be one of my "local guy" tasks is researching all the various codes, ordinances and laws that might restrict the tiny homes. I think you're right about the future trend.

jaqeboy

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on December 10, 2007, 02:43 PM NHFT
I was under the impression that PSNH allowed net-metering. I'll have to review.
This link might help.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/boardsandcommissions/bldgcode/

They do allow net-metering, under PUC 900 regulations, pursuant to RSA 362-A:9. They just won't pay you for excess power generated - they apply credit to your bill, which you can consume at any time during the year, but it flushes at midnight, December 31st back to zero. Some are working to change that, but I'm not up on the latest. I'm on the board of the Campaign for Ratepayers Rights, but have not stayed active. Probably the folks at NHSEA would know the latest, if there are changes afoot.

I did talk to the guy in charge of PSNH's net-metering, Carl Vogel back in June, and if you call him, he'll send you a packet of info, including their interconnection application form. They did just make a change in their requirements in April or May to allow all inverters that met UL 1741 test standards, instead of just a selected list of makes and models of inverters, which is how their requirements were before. Inverters must also pass NH required surge testing.

David

T
I am pretty sure I saw in the pics, at the tumbleweed website, tiny fireplaces.  I could be wrong.  They might be just tiny furnaces. 

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: jaqeboy on December 12, 2007, 12:16 AM NHFT
Quote from: John Edward Mercier on December 10, 2007, 02:43 PM NHFT
I was under the impression that PSNH allowed net-metering. I'll have to review.
This link might help.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/boardsandcommissions/bldgcode/

They do allow net-metering, under PUC 900 regulations, pursuant to RSA 362-A:9. They just won't pay you for excess power generated - they apply credit to your bill, which you can consume at any time during the year, but it flushes at midnight, December 31st back to zero. Some are working to change that, but I'm not up on the latest. I'm on the board of the Campaign for Ratepayers Rights, but have not stayed active. Probably the folks at NHSEA would know the latest, if there are changes afoot.

I did talk to the guy in charge of PSNH's net-metering, Carl xxx back in June, and if you call him, he'll send you a packet of info, including their interconnection application form. They did just make a change in their requirements in April or May to allow all inverters that met UL 1741 test standards, instead of just a selected list of makes and models of inverters, which is how their requirements were before. Inverters must also pass NH required surge testing.

Thank you. I found it and placed it in a different post. I was under a time constraint at the time of the original post.

elf

Quote from: Beth221 on December 11, 2007, 09:37 AM NHFT

And business executives,

Now I can't get the song out of my head.   Geez! 

jaqeboy

Quote from: David on December 12, 2007, 12:43 AM NHFT

T
I am pretty sure I saw in the pics, at the tumbleweed website, tiny fireplaces.  I could be wrong.  They might be just tiny furnaces. 

The tiny heaters/stoves are ones designed for sailboats/yachts in some of the houses

Beth221

Quote from: elf on December 12, 2007, 11:52 AM NHFT
Quote from: Beth221 on December 11, 2007, 09:37 AM NHFT

And business executives,

Now I can't get the song out of my head.   Geez! 

lets all sing together!! 

jaqeboy

Quote from: Puke on December 08, 2007, 06:05 PM NHFT
I came across this site through a cool links aggregator.
This company is called Tumebleweed and they build very small homes!
I would love to have one of the Enseti designs. It's the one at the very bottom of the list.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Puke, they're having a workshop (in California, tho'). Here's the details rom their (tiny) newsletter:

Tiny House Building Workshop

We're just about ready to kick off the new year with our first Tiny House Building Workshop in 2008. There are 4 spaces left so if you still want to get in on this great deal, let us know. Attendance is free with purchase of a set of plans, or you can buy a ticket without the plans for $399. Learn more.

Open House

Come visit Sebastopol, CA and take a tour of Jay's personal residence, the Epu home. The next open house tour is Saturday, February 2nd, 2pm-4pm. RSVP required. Email us for more info.

Puke

California is a bit far.
Thanks for the tip though.