• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tiny houses!

Started by Puke, December 08, 2007, 06:05 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Free libertarian

...oh yeah, what Lloyd said, choose Grafton.

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: Free libertarian on February 26, 2008, 07:41 AM NHFT
A tiny house that is off the grid can be set up relatively cheap if you're willing to alter your
perception of what is and isn't essential. Keeping warm, clean and well fed are my highest priorities, the game room w/pool table etc. is nice but you pay dearly for all that kind of ego stuff...been there.

I have no hard figures, but you can save a ton of money by do it yourself, the initial cost of some things, like alternative energy and a decent backup small generator can be a barrier but when you don't get an electric or oil bill that can be pretty nice.  Nothing like giving up your gym membership for a hand wood splitter either.  This message is coming to you via yesterday's Solar power.  Plus tiny houses are just soo damn cool.

If anybody is thinking about a tiny house project in/around NH I'd happy to help out...One concern  to be aware of is  before buying land, some towns have not only a minimum lot size, but get this, a minimum house size.   Choose your town wisely. 

I've only seen minimum house (or more accurately valuation) size in real estate divisions like Bald Peak. Zoning generally limits size through setbacks and height limitations.
I do know there are issues with 'green' building as many don't understand inherent energy or material life cycles, but with all the materials that go into construction that is to be understood. Generally low cost self-builders do very well.

margomaps

I didn't read through the whole thread, so sorry if this is a repeat:

http://www.shelter-kit.com

These are "assemble-it-yourself" homes and barns from a company in Tilton NH.  Just about everything they sell is post & beam.  I'm not sure how their prices compare to other similar homes, but factor in no or minimal shipping costs (in NH at any rate) when comparing.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: margomaps on February 29, 2008, 09:22 PM NHFT
These are "assemble-it-yourself" homes and barns from a company in Tilton NH.
Cool
I like their little "unit one" kits. :) they can stack them side by side.
I have thought of building something a little deeper and just keep going to the sides ... with the back built up with dirt. :)

John Edward Mercier

There is a book out from the seventies called the Autonomous House. It used the berm concept. Worth a read if you can find it.

jaqeboy

These are "assemble-it-yourself" homes and barns from a company in Tilton NH.  Just about everything they sell is post & beam.  I'm not sure how their prices compare to other similar homes, but factor in no or minimal shipping costs (in NH at any rate) when comparing.

I think I saw these before, but thanks for the link - they look really cool! ...and the kit aspect is awesome! Just go up to Tilton with a trailer and pick up your house... how cool can you get!

KBCraig

Compared to buying a plan and cutting the materials yourself, they're pretty pricey. The basic Unit One is almost $10k for 12x12. That's over $69 per square foot for an unfinished shell.

margomaps

Quote from: KBCraig on March 02, 2008, 01:54 AM NHFT

Compared to buying a plan and cutting the materials yourself, they're pretty pricey. The basic Unit One is almost $10k for 12x12. That's over $69 per square foot for an unfinished shell.

That's true.  The kit is geared toward customers who don't necessarily have any building experience.  It comes with pre-inspected-for-trueness lumber (according to the company), all cuts already made (1/8" tolerance), all nails and other fastening hardware, windows, etc.  Perhaps most importantly, it comes with nearly idiot-proof step-by-step instructions and telephone support.  Those are the reasons the kit costs more than raw materials.  Heck, my sofa cost a lot more than the raw materials, but I was willing to pay that premium because I don't know a thing about making a sofa (and it wasn't worth my time to learn).

Like anything else, if you know what you're doing, you can probably do it cheaper.  But starting from the ground up -- having to get a building plan, buying/borrowing the hardware to make the cuts, finding the right nails, etc., is probably a very daunting task for someone who hasn't done it before.

Beth221

every time i see this thread, the song for Weeds pops into my head! 

Ticky tacky!

KBCraig

Any of the large building supply stores (and many small local ones) will put together a "kit" that isn't pre-cut. They have plans (usually the "U-build" line), and will include all materials right down to the nails.

You do have to cut the materials yourself, and know which end of a hammer to hold, but anyone who can properly assemble one of these Shelter Kits could handle building from plans.

margomaps

Quote from: KBCraig on March 02, 2008, 12:09 PM NHFTYou do have to cut the materials yourself, and know which end of a hammer to hold, but anyone who can properly assemble one of these Shelter Kits could handle building from plans.

I doubt it.   :)

Don't underestimate the time and wasted wood it would take for a non-builder to cut the materials properly.  I'd wager that for a novice, the Shelter Kit would be up and completed weeks before the DIY approach, and the final product would be superior (tighter tolerances, straighter wood, etc.).

John Edward Mercier

I find that to be more a 'conceptual' rather than 'material' problem. Like using a full 96 inch stud, then trying to sheetrock. They forget the top and bottom plates in their planning.

dalebert

Even if I ordered one of those kits, I'd probably want to hire an experienced porc or two to help me build it. With those skills available, it might be excessive to spend the extra on a kit.

John Edward Mercier

Google methane digesters... I'm sure someone has put plans on the web.

dalebert

There are farms that use the cow poop methane to run generators and stuph. I saw it on tv.