• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Broom Hockey/Hawaiian Luau

Started by Kat Kanning, January 07, 2010, 06:08 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Brooms, sneakers, and a ball on Tewksbury Pond in Grafton.  I don't know when though.  I don't know who either.  Why, I can handle....it'll be silly and fun in the cold :)

Kat Kanning

OK, we decided on the 20th of February. :)

10:00 am at the farm (and/or...)
11:00 am at Tewksbury Pond
Afterwards....hot soup at the farm + whatever everyone else brings to eat.

Afterwards, a luau.

Russell Kanning

bring skates if ya gotem .... we can split the speedsters on separate teams
the rest of us will be slipping around on the ice

bring shovels please

Friday

This sounds soooooo fun!   :blob6:  I'll be there.

Is there a standard formula for gauging whether or not a frozen river or lake is safe to walk on?  I can see that people have been walking across the Merrimack in Concord; that seems rather bold to me.  I don't think I'd have the nerve.

Kat Kanning

We figure if there are any vehicles driving on it, that we'll be OK.  :o

Pat K

Gee running around in the cold, with the
extra added bonus of broken bones.
Um I think I'M working..............................

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Friday on January 09, 2010, 07:53 AM NHFT
This sounds soooooo fun!   :blob6:  I'll be there.

Is there a standard formula for gauging whether or not a frozen river or lake is safe to walk on?  I can see that people have been walking across the Merrimack in Concord; that seems rather bold to me.  I don't think I'd have the nerve.
many inches of ice and no running water nearby will make me happy
ice houses and trucks on the pond - good
no way would i walk across the river right now .... or maybe ever

we are now going to have a hawaiian party after the skirts vs the shirts

Kat Kanning

Barskey will have to post the details on the luau, but we were thinking on the ice hockey, we'd have the grass skirts team vs. the hawaiian shirts  :D  I guess they'd have to be big to go over winter clothes.  :o

Lloyd Danforth

Kat Kanning

Well, you're welcome to do naked broom hockey, but I think most of us will wear clothing.

Lloyd Danforth

You kiddin?
As it is, I got tricked into opening this topic cause of the Hawaiian Luau addition to the title.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 10, 2010, 08:49 AM NHFT
You kiddin?
As it is, I got tricked into opening this topic cause of the Hawaiian Luau addition to the title.

No, I am, as always, completely serious. (I wish I could have worked more commas into that for you.)

Mike Barskey

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 10, 2010, 09:00 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 10, 2010, 08:49 AM NHFT
You kiddin?

No, I am, as always, completely serious. (I wish I could have worked more commas into that for you.)

Serious indeed! I want a luau in the winter. Grass skirts (over snow pants), leis, a cooked pig (I doubt we'll cook it underground, but we'll have a pig - or a ham, at least!), tiki torches... does anyone know how to juggle fire? Are there any hula dancers in the area - or anyone willing to put together a short hula dance presentation with a few people "Porcupine Style" (whatever that is - make it up!)?

What else traditionally happens at luaus? Any suggestions for bringing the warmth, beauty, and fun of a summer Hawaiian luau to a New Hampshire winter?

Friday

Quote from: Mike Barskey on January 12, 2010, 08:41 AM NHFT
What else traditionally happens at luaus? Any suggestions for bringing the warmth, beauty, and fun of a summer Hawaiian luau to a New Hampshire winter?
I'm trying to remember what the Brady Bunch did when they went to Hawaii.  Was there spelunking??  Tattooing and topless chicks? No, wait, that was "The Bounty".

Mike Barskey

Quote from: Friday on January 12, 2010, 09:35 AM NHFT
Quote from: Mike Barskey on January 12, 2010, 08:41 AM NHFT
I'm trying to remember what the Brady Bunch did when they went to Hawaii.  Was there spelunking??  Tattooing and topless chicks? No, wait, that was "The Bounty".

Let's see... They found a tiki statue that brought bad luck, including a tarantula in Peter's bed. I think Greg surfed. They toured Pearl Harbor (I think I recall a scene with them on the USS Arizona floating display thingie).

Ah! Just found the List of The Brady Bunch episodes wikipedia entry. Check out episodes 73-75. I was close. :)

Maybe we can make a mini beach using sand from the city/county reserves? Instead of surf boards, could we sled?