• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Daily quotes

Started by Kat Kanning, March 23, 2005, 11:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Lance on November 15, 2009, 09:27 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 15, 2009, 05:26 AM NHFT
Unless you end up as a Crack, Bam or Flower.

Had to google that.  :)

Seriously though - the absence of a coercive government won't end the phenomena of interpersonal disputes.  I have a hard time understanding why some people think that there will not be a need for lawyers in a voluntary society.
There might be a need for an experts to help with complicated contracts and disputes about same.

Friday

Can any thing be more ridiculous than that a man has a right to kill me because he dwells the other side of the water, and because his prince has a quarrel with mine, although I have none with him?

— Blaise Pascal, Pensees, IV [1670]

John

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
Scottish proverb

John

The things we have are easily spoiled by our desire for the things we don't have.

John

If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.
Mahatma Gandhi

MTPorcupine3

Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power. -Eric Hoffer,
philosopher and author (1902-1983)

John

If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will avoid one hundred days of sorrow. - unknown

Friday

Labor to keep alive in your heart that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.

— George Washington

Becky Thatcher

I really like this quote...thanks Friday.

Friday

Every vice was once a virtue, and may become respectable again, just as hatred becomes respectable in wartime.

— Will Durant

Kat Kanning

"The net poses a fundamental threat not only to the authority of the
government, but to all authority, because it permits people to organize, think,
and influence one another without any institutional supervision whatsoever."
-- John Seabrook
American journalist, staff writer at The New Yorker since 1993
Source: "My First Flame," New Yorker, 6 June 1994

Pat K

Power and authority, as substitutes for performance and rational thought, are the specters that haunt the world today. They are the ghosts of awed and superstitious yesterdays. And politics is their familiar. Politics, throughout time, has been an institutionalized denial of man's ability to survive through the exclusive employment of all his own powers for his own welfare. And politics, throughout time, has existed solely through the resources that it has been able to plunder from the creative and productive people whom it has, in the name of many causes and moralities, denied the exclusive employment of all their own powers for their own welfare."
Karl Hess,

Lloyd Danforth

Walt Whitman's Caution

To The States, or any one of them, or any city of The States,
  Resist much, obey little;
Once unquestioning obedience, once fully enslaved;
Once fully enslaved, no nation, state, city, of this earth,
  ever afterward resumes its liberty.                    1860

Friday

"Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

shyfrog

"We cannot but be astonished at the ease with which men resign themselves to ignorance about what is most important for them to know; and we may be certain that they are determined to remain invincibly ignorant if they once come to consider it as axiomatic that there are no absolute principles."
~ Frederic Bastiat

:icon_pirat: