• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

An Open Letter re: Jim C. Perry

Started by Friday, September 26, 2007, 10:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Quote from: Bald Eagle on September 27, 2007, 10:01 AM NHFT
The Talented Mr Ripley

That was a GREAT movie! I have it on DVD.  :icon_pirat: Who wants to watch it sometime at Porc Manor? I've only seen it about half a dozen times or so.

dalebert

Quote from: Kat Kanning on September 27, 2007, 08:16 AM NHFT
I think shunning is much better than legal action.

I certainly understand the reluctance to use the corrupt justice system. I think what he's pointing out though, is that the very same legal system may go after them if they don't follow certain legal guidelines that they agreed to when incorporating, which may include going after the thief with the legal system. Ugh.
:-\

Lloyd Danforth

As the LPNH serves its members and they are the victims, here, they could be polled.

mvpel

From the LPNH Statement of Principles:

QuoteProperty: The only economic system compatible with the protection of individual human rights is the free market; therefore, the fundamental right of individuals to own property and to enjoy the rewards of their just earnings should not be compromised.

And...

QuoteGovernment's only role is to help individuals defend themselves from force and fraud.

So it would seem that filing a lawsuit for the funds would be within the principles of the LPNH.

From the RSAs:
Quote637:4 Theft by Deception. –
    I. A person commits theft if he obtains or exercises control over property of another by deception and with a purpose to deprive him thereof.
II. For the purposes of this section, deception occurs when a person purposely:
    (e) Misrepresents to or misleads any person, in any manner, so as to make that person believe that the person on whose behalf a solicitation or sales promotion is being conducted is a charitable trust or that the proceeds of such solicitation or sales promotion shall be used for charitable purposes, if such is not the fact.

It's a felony if the value involved is over $500.

SethCohn

Quote from: Friday on September 26, 2007, 10:37 PM NHFT
A year ago, when I was running for the Executive Committee of the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire (LPNH), two different people pulled me aside and quietly encouraged me to run *against* Jim for the position of Secretary.  At that point, I knew Jim had a reputation for flakiness.

For the record, I believe I was one of those people.  While I still like Jim as a person, his flakiness is legendary at this point.... and Friday does a good job of listing the latest woes.

Friday, I wish you hadn't had to write this letter... I wish that I'd been wrong about it 2 years ago as linked above... or that JP would grow up already and take some personal responsibility.  Two years later, he's now over 21, so any possible excuses as to his not yet being an full adult have expired.   Sadly, I think he's lost his chance to change with many... I could list a few other instances I'm aware of, involving a myriad of folks and situations, but I won't, because the trend is clear and has been for some time - more fuel on the fire won't make a difference.

That said, I don't see the value in pursuing legal action against him, because the greater harm is caused, not healed, in doing so.  LPNH doesn't need the bad press, and restitution is unlikely...  JP has now burnt bridges with the Democrats (as Rearden alludes to... JP could have been easily elected as a State Rep in Concord, but flaked out the day of the primary, moving that same day intentionally), and the Libertarians... His website (which I host, BTW, paid in advance but I will not renew the arrangement due to his behavior with the LPNH) links to neither, but only to the Republicans and Ron Paul.  He's also creating new orgs, like Jews for Ron Paul, so I think the best answer is going to be a shunning.  Let those who associate with him know the facts, and let them judge for themselves if they want to deal with him.  No force or threats are needed, IMHO.  If people had merely shunned him in the past, he wouldn't have been elected to an LPNH spot in the first place.

Pat K

Damn now this really sucks.

I have to admit Seth was right about something.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: SethCohn on September 27, 2007, 05:18 PM NHFT
That said, I don't see the value in pursuing legal action against him, because the greater harm is caused, not healed, in doing so.  LPNH doesn't need the bad press, and restitution is unlikely...

I would also advise against filing a lawsuit if you won't get any money out of it anyway, but from what mvpel and GraniteForge point out, there are criminal charges here that the LPNH, as a nonprofit, may be required to pursue, lest the contributors to the raffle be able to hold the LPNH responsible for the fraud.

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 27, 2007, 10:02 AM NHFT
Looks like he took off from the forum here on 2007-09-07. If y'all want to shun him on the forum, single click:
http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?action=ignore;u=102

Up to eight now...

Friday

Quote from: GraniteForge on September 27, 2007, 12:58 AM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on September 27, 2007, 12:03 AM NHFT
I can't even sleep.   >:(  All the wasted time, and the pilfered donations, is bad enough...but to then attempt to lay the blame on someone else....   :puke:

By reading this, I am guessing that any monies I spent for these tickets was fraudulantly obtained.
I'm not sure I follow you.  If you mean you're asking about money you spent purchasing raffle tickets, then yes, you were defrauded by Jim.  However, the LPNH can and will cover the cost of the raffle prizes regardless.  Your tickets will be included in the random drawing, and if your ticket is selected, you'll win a gun.  Sorry if I was unclear on that point.

I further read that you have no intent to seek redress.  While this might be the best choice from your personal world view, I submit to your attention that if you are, in fact, a fiduciary of the corporation that backed the (now, apparantly fraudulant) sales of tickets, you have an obligation - both personal and corporate - to distance yourself from the individual that you claim acted in an unauthorized manner, to mitigate damages done, and to make your corporation whole (in finance and in reputation).

I suggest you consult your corporate attorney, and initiate appropriate action against the offending individual.
No intent to seek redress?  I thought my post was long enough as is, so I didn't include all the gory details, but I have been "seeking redress" for several months now.  Considering how many other people to whom Jim apparently owes money, including hospitals (who I am quite sure can afford more lawyers than the LPNH can), I strongly suspect it would be counterproductive for me to pursue this via an attorney and the court system.  However, I appreciate the advice, and I will look into it.  If I have some sort of legal obligation to the LPNH membership to pursue this through the court system, then...  :coffee:

Friday

Thank you so much to all of you for the moral support and kind words.  I feel so icky about this whole thing.  And Rearden and Russell, I knew nothing about either of those incidents you cite, so I guess it was for the best to get this all out in the open. 

And yes, Seth, you were right.  God I hate it when that happens.  :BangHead:

Insurgent

This is very unfortunate. Before I fled Minnesota for New Hampshire, the LPMN underwent a similar fraud situation with their Treasurer, but the monetary damages were much more significant. It took months of hard work by a new volunteer Treasurer to sort through the mess, and police did eventually get involved.

d_goddard

he's now over 21, so any possible excuses as to his not yet being an full adult have expired.
Naw, now he can legally use the excuse that he was drunk!

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Insurgent on September 27, 2007, 07:32 PM NHFT
This is very unfortunate. Before I fled Minnesota for New Hampshire, the LPMN underwent a similar fraud situation with their Treasurer, but the monetary damages were much more significant. It took months of hard work by a new volunteer Treasurer to sort through the mess, and police did eventually get involved.

I've often wondered why an organization would leave their entire financial situation in the hands of a single officer. Why not have one of the other officers review the ledgers and balance statements periodically?

Ron Helwig

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 27, 2007, 08:31 PM NHFT

I've often wondered why an organization would leave their entire financial situation in the hands of a single officer. Why not have one of the other officers review the ledgers and balance statements periodically?

That was part of the fix we put in afterwards, at least as long as I was chair. (I was the state chair during the unfortunate criminal incident) Rex, the replacement treasurer, worked miracles. I just wish we could get him to move here.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Ron Helwig on September 27, 2007, 09:08 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 27, 2007, 08:31 PM NHFT

That was part of the fix we put in afterwards, at least as long as I was chair. (I was the state chair during the unfortunate criminal incident) Rex, the replacement treasurer, worked miracles. I just wish we could get him to move here.

Nice.

This should be standard for every corporation. The template that is usually used when incorporating is to have a president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer. A "vice treasurer" or expectation that the secretary or president vet the treasurer's work should be standard, not an innovation that some people implement after learning a hard lesson.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 27, 2007, 06:14 PM NHFT
That said, I don't see the value in pursuing legal action against him, because the greater harm is caused, not healed, in doing so.  LPNH doesn't need the bad press, and restitution is unlikely...

I would also advise against filing a lawsuit if you won't get any money out of it anyway, but from what mvpel and GraniteForge point out, there are criminal charges here that the LPNH, as a nonprofit, may be required to pursue, lest the contributors to the raffle be able to hold the LPNH responsible for the fraud.

The raffle was likely against the law to begin with folks.  A lawsuit would be a joke and hurt all parties more.