• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Lauren kidnapped roadside by thugs Oct. 2nd

Started by les nessman, October 02, 2007, 11:54 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Porcupine_in_MA

Ooo very well put. Sucinct..to the point. Nice.  8)

lildog

Quote from: Porcupine_in_MA on October 30, 2007, 10:40 AM NHFT
QuoteProtesters converged on the jail shortly afterward, and "Free Lauren" signs were posted at the site of the arrest. Canario and her supporters are part of a fringe element within the Free State Movement that takes the group's libertarian philosophy to the extreme – arguing that they should not have to pay taxes, register their cars or apply for diver's licenses.

Guess I'm one of those "extremists" then. How sad that belief in freedom from government is considered radical.

To a point they are correct on that point.  Anarchists, those who believe in NO government, are in the minority.  I myself am a Constitutionalist in that I believe the government should be limited to the rules originally set forth by our founding fathers.  Those rules DO however allow states to create their own rules as long as they are not limiting freedoms the Constitution gives to all people.  I think most free staters (at least the ones I've meet) believe in SOME level of government.

coffeeseven

Quote from: lildog on October 30, 2007, 11:09 AM NHFT
QuoteProtesters converged on the jail shortly afterward, and "Free Lauren" signs were posted at the site of the arrest. Canario and her supporters are part of a fringe element within the Free State Movement that takes the group's libertarian philosophy to the extreme – arguing that they should not have to pay taxes, register their cars or apply for diver's licenses.

Guess I'm one of those "extremists" then. How sad that belief in freedom from government is considered radical.

To a point they are correct on that point.  Anarchists, those who believe in NO government, are in the minority.  I myself am a Constitutionalist in that I believe the government should be limited to the rules originally set forth by our founding fathers.  Those rules DO however allow states to create their own rules as long as they are not limiting freedoms the Constitution gives to all people.  I think most free staters (at least the ones I've meet) believe in SOME level of government.

Mr. Ron Paul believes the same thing you do. I can't wait to see what his first move is. The unconstitutional portion of our government is in the majority. It won't be like peeling a banana. It'll be more like bringing a BIG building down brick by brick. When he starts pulling out bricks, look out for falling rubble!!

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: lildog on October 30, 2007, 11:09 AM NHFT

Oh I know we're in the minority. That wasn't my point.

Porcupine_in_MA

My little semi-tongue-in-cheek description for myself would be a "minanarchocapitalist" I believe working towards returning to a Constitutional Republic and then see about eliminating government entirely from there. I'm actually not that big on the Constitution as a document, as documents go. I prefer the Articles of Confederation.

dalebert

dalebert

A forceful government is synonymous with crime to me. It's hard to imagine a world where no one tries to institute it on some level any more than I can imagine a world with no criminals.  That doesn't mean I think crime is necessary or that I will ever stop opposing it when it happens. I can't imagine how someone can use the word "evil" in the same sentence as "necessary" and have the right mindset to even shrink it to any serious degree. I think you have to get your head in the right place before you can start executing effective tactics for minimizing evil in our world. *shrug*

David

Quote from: lildog on October 30, 2007, 10:23 AM NHFT
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071028/OPINION01/310280074/-1/opinion

Not sure if anyone saw this editorial or not yet.

even the moderates among us have been 'extreme' for quite some time.   :'( 

Russell Kanning

should we do things based on how big the group is ... or the logic and decency of the idea?

for most of us ... being called fringe or extreme is normal

Lauren is not basing her decisions on group think. I agree with her .... oh no ... we are building a new consensus. ;)

Kat Kanning

Jason obviously thinks we go around involking the name of the Free State Project all the time, when really, we almost never mention it.  ::)

Russell Kanning

what a lame article ...

did lauren?
"After identifying herself as a member of the Free State Project, Canario refused to give her name or to provide a driver's license and vehicle registration."

or did she contend this?
"CONCLUSION: It turns out her contention that Free Staters should not have to pay taxes, register their cars or apply for driver's licenses is not even supported by the leaders of her group."
These seem to be stuff the paper added to the story.

"Unfortunately, it's not the kind of attention the Free State movement would prefer."
some of us would prefer it .... the free state project is a bunch of individuals ... noone speaks or represents all of us.

... and then Jason wrote them to distance himself from Lauren ... and somehow speak for the FSP.

"Unfortunately, there is a small but radical fringe of Free Staters who want to abolish all laws and law enforcement, and they often choose to disobey laws with which they disagree," he wrote. "Because of their non-violent philosophy, they would never intentionally do harm to others, but by parading themselves in front of the media as Free Staters at every opportunity, they give New Hampshire residents a skewed image of the quiet majority."

It is not unfortunate in my book. Jason doesn't speak for this participant in the Free State Project. None of us has even mentioned the fsp in regards to lauren's situation as far as I know.

Russell Kanning

"This wasn't the first time Canario has staged an arrest."

she was driving down the road ... that Jim had a camera ... was just a reaction to all the thugs out there hurting people

dalebert

"After identifying herself as a member of the Free State Project, Canario refused to give her name or to provide a driver's license and vehicle registration."

Yeah, I rather doubt that she identified herself as FSP at that time. I suppose it's technically correct if at ANY TIME IN THE PAST before the incident, she had mentioned that she was FSP.
::)

lildog

Russ and Dalebert, good points.

For starters I cannot see this in any way as a "stagged" arrest.  A stagged arrest was when Russ went to the IRS building with pitchfork and fliers or Dave went handing out fliers to a government building.  Both events were planned out in advanced.  This one was not.

Dale, you make me want to go back and review the video.  Did she at any time say "I'm a free stater"?  I don't recall her doing so.  I guess if ANYONE who is known to be a member of the free state group is arrested they suddenly become a face for the group.  Shame.

coffeeseven

She said nothing. I don't see a name attached to this news story.

I wonder if all new signups with the FSP will have to sign a waiver that they agree to rock the boat, just not too hard.  >:D