• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Please post frugal living tips

Started by porcupine kate, December 01, 2007, 09:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Helwig

I discovered a body once (a friend/roommate). Its a pretty funny story. Ask me in person sometime.

Lloyd Danforth

Mass exodus of roomers from Ron's house ensues

JonM

Quote from: jaqeboy on December 05, 2007, 12:16 PM NHFT
Buy your organic foods through a co-op. Usu. have to buy canned things and some boxed things by case lot, but they often make the case size small, like 6 or so. Also can buy lots of items by onsies.

Northeast Cooperatives in Brattleboro used to be the big warehouse operation, but I think there was a merger and it's now called United Buying Clubs. My local health food store, Earthwards in Amherst, does a coop buying club, as well as the retail store operation. Order and pick up twice a week.

PS: they carry the deodorant stones
UBC sent me a catalog and list of people running buying clubs in NH.  You gotta know what you want, that thing is just line item after line item.

KBCraig

Reducing laundry saves a lot of money, especially if you have to use coin-op laundromats.

Unless you're doing sweaty/filthy work, most outer clothing can be worn a couple of times (at least) before laundering.

When you dry your clean body with a clean towel, that towel doesn't then become dirty. Bath towels that are hung up to dry are good for a week or more of daily drying. Same with washcloths, although you might care to swap them a bit more often.

kola

Quote from: KBCraig on December 14, 2007, 03:01 PM NHFT
Reducing laundry saves a lot of money, especially if you have to use coin-op laundromats.

Unless you're doing sweaty/filthy work, most outer clothing can be worn a couple of times (at least) before laundering.

When you dry your clean body with a clean towel, that towel doesn't then become dirty. Bath towels that are hung up to dry are good for a week or more of daily drying. Same with washcloths, although you might care to swap them a bit more often.

yick.

KBCraig

Quote from: kola on December 14, 2007, 03:17 PM NHFT
yick.

To what part?

I'm a very clean and neat person. The jeans and t-shirt I wear puttering around the house for a few hours don't require laundering before being worn again. The towel I use to dry my freshly-washed self, after it's hung up to dry, is not noticeably less fresh than one in the cabinet.

kola

Yick to what? To all of it.

It's a good things most hotels do not follow your beliefs, stinky!

LOL

Kola

Lloyd Danforth

I agree with Kevin.  If you keep your body clean, your clothes don't get too ripe too fast.  I don't get this showering every day either, much less twice a day.  How can anyone rationalize that nature intended that?  Running some soap and water over the important areas every day should suffice.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: kola on December 14, 2007, 09:11 PM NHFT

LOL

Kola

So......what?  You got a washer dryer and shower in that tent you live in?

Faber

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on December 14, 2007, 09:15 PM NHFT

LOL

Kola

So......what?  You got a washer dryer and shower in that tent you live in?

Nah, they violate the "laws of nature" :P

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: KBCraig on December 14, 2007, 03:01 PM NHFT
When you dry your clean body with a clean towel, that towel doesn't then become dirty. Bath towels that are hung up to dry are good for a week or more of daily drying.

At least 3 weeks.

KBCraig

Do you change your sheets every day? Get a new pillow every week? A new mattress every month? Let's not even talk about your shoes, no matter how often you change your socks...

I'm not talking about wearing dirty clothes. Clothes aren't dirty just because they've touched your body. Thank goodness, because otherwise my daughter would be doing two loads of laundry a day, given how often she changes.

It's not dirty until it's dirty. "Dirty" could happen after 15 minutes (mowing the lawn in summer), or a week (the comfy sweatpants and t-shirt used for lounging before bed, after a shower). No need to wash stuff until it's actually dirty.

Unless you just like wasting water and money and polluting the environment, that is.  ;)

kola

people sweat. some more than others but we all sweat. sweat has a not-so-nice smell and some sweaty people really reek.... sometimes you can not see the sweat but the piece of garment is still "dirty". i prefer to shower once a day, in the morning and depending what i did or where i am going i may shower again . the NA indians noticed how stinky the early settlers were and noticed that they hardly bathed. yick.  maybe its a genetic thing to wear dirty clothes, use dirty towels and skip baths and showers. double yick.

we shit and piss...and no matter how much we try we still get urine, blood and shit stains on undergarments.

i change underwear and socks daily... work shirts as well.

pants? I may wear them a few times unless i slop them up.

shower towels and washcloths? one use and they get laundered. you are rubbing those cloths on anal and pubic regions. wash em man.

bedsheets get changed every 2 weeks and pillow case every week.(nasty greasy shit accumlates on pillow cases even tho we most often can see it..its till fricken dirty...and  spending 7-8 hours of a day under the sheets is a long time to cruddy things up and even moreso if you are one who skips showering or bathing daily.

the worse thing that some stinky folks do (besides not change clothes and/or shower) is to mask their odor with cheap cologne. thats the fricken pits. when I lived in NY people called it a "jewish bath".

now KB, once again, smite my karma as it appears this is something you are good at.

2 cents and change back,
Kola

KBCraig

Quote from: kola on December 15, 2007, 03:53 AM NHFT
now KB, once again, smite my karma as it appears this is something you are good at.

It's late, I'm off to bed, so I'll respond to your full post later. But let me say this: I don't smite. I quit smiting people before you joined this forum, so I'm pretty sure I've never smitten you.

I applaud people when I think they make good points, or when I think they contribute to the overall atmosphere of the movement. Otherwise, I just skip right on by, but I don't hit the "smite" button.

Kevin

Lloyd Danforth

Nature Boys!  Gotta love them, Kevin ;D