• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Warrant out for Mike Barskey

Started by ancapagency, January 15, 2009, 09:10 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

David

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on January 15, 2009, 12:05 PM NHFT
People asked me why I showed up in Keene court - this is why.  Now they can kick in Mike's door (if they find his address), and really destroy peoples' lives.
Mike, if you do decide to confront the issue, go with a few activists and cameras.  It provides you with a bit more control, such as being able to arrange your personal affairs before a possible arrest, and of course allows for preplanned cameras and eyewitness'. 
If you choose to continue the route you are taking, good luck, and I wish you well.   :)

FTL_Ian

Not legal advice:

If continuing the avoidance route, perhaps consider refusing to identify yourself as Mike Barskey to "them".  You saw how important Lauren's identity was to the hearing bureaucrat today.  If they ask "Are you Mike Barskey?" when you step outside your house, try to answer with a question or ignore them and move on.  Ideally, you may not want to be carrying govt ID that has the same name on it.

Mike Barskey

Good advice, David and Ian. Thanks.

Regarding the non-legal advice (no need for disclaimers with me :) I'm not going to sue anyone over bad advice, legal or not): I don't carry govt ID except when driving (and that will cease after this ordeal). When I'm anywhere else (like at the hearing today, or in my apartment, or walking to store), I don't have it. If I'm not in my apartment and a cop asks me if I'm Mike Barskey, I think I will try to respond with questions, or point out that they have no right to ask and I will not answer, or something like that. Again, though, we'll see how I fair when it actually happens. :)

AntonLee

are you Mike Barskey?
huh?
are you Mike Barskey?
who are you?
I am a police officer, are you Mike Barskey?
what?
are YOU MIKE BARSKEY?
huh?

Russell Kanning

I recently told a cop that I didnt want to answer his question. It worked out.

FTL_Ian

Yes, you have no obligation to even speak to them.

Mike Barskey

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on January 20, 2009, 09:27 PM NHFT
Yes, you have no obligation to even speak to them.

Right. It's a little hard to ignore a cop's demands - we're (I am) so indoctrinated and they're (intentionally) so intimidating. It's actually not too tough for me to imagine ignoring a cop except if he accosts me when I'm driving (or if I were committing the crime of initiating aggression against someone, which I don't do). It seems that when I'm driving I must at least give him my name and "papers please!" But I think I'll overcome that someday, too.

Kat Kanning

Mike Barskey

I have some news about me. Kind of. It actually makes things less clear. :(

I learned that there is not a warrant for my arrest in the state-wide cop computer. An I'm-not-a-lawyer-this-is-not-legal-advice friend told me  courts could issue a bench warrant and not send it to the state police for entry into the state computer, but this would be in violation of Section 491:25 Arrest Warrants; Copies Transmitted to State Police.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LI/491/491-25.htm

Or the cops could have issued a criminal warrant for bail jumping (Section 642:8 Bail Jumping):
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LXII/642/642-8.htm

It seems the "bail jumping" makes sense, since I was told the judge set a $2K bail, and cops are trying to find me, yet there appears to be nothing in the cop database.

However, I got a voicemail today from Lt. Thomas of the Keene Police.
QuoteWe have a summons for...for you that I'd like to just arrange to have you come pick up.

Huh? A summons for me from Keene? For what? Could that be why cops are looking for me? Well, I guess I'll find out sooner or later. :)

Russell Kanning

you shouldn't be on bail, since you never agreed to it
very mysterious ... they could just be sloppy, lazy, mean
I wonder what the keene stuff is ... andrews arrest?

FTL_Ian

Keene?  My guess is Freedom Fest.   >:(  How'd they get your #?

Mike Barskey

I would guess the same about bail; that I couldn't "jump" bail if I was never arrested and released on bail. But I'm using English and logic, here, not legalese.

Andrew's arrest for the Keene summons? Yeah, could be. Did anyone else receive calls from Keene PD regarding summons...es...summonses? Whatever. :)

I was also thinking about Freedom Fest. That makes a little more sense, but still: whatever. :)

Tom Sawyer

If you signed the ticket you agreed to do some stuph...

As to Keene, who knows, reading the forum could have them thinking about getting you.

Mike Barskey

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 21, 2009, 11:58 AM NHFT
If you signed the ticket you agreed to do some stuph...

I signed nothing.

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 21, 2009, 11:58 AM NHFT
As to Keene, who knows, reading the forum could have them thinking about getting you.

Yup, true. Hi, guys. I think your job is immoral, but I still hope you have a pleasant day.