• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Freedom to Travel Event, Part 1

Started by Kat Kanning, May 17, 2005, 06:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Quote from: JonM on May 18, 2005, 08:59 AM NHFT
You were actually violating a law, they had no choice but to arrest you when you refused to stop. ?Russell will not be violating a law by refusing to show ID, he will be violating a law when he physically touches someone standing in his way after he refuses to show ID. ?My understanding of ZAP is not perfect, I will admit, but I'm fairly sure that doesn't fit with it.

Nah!  When Russell warns them to be prepared for his visit, they'll be ready to arrest him as soon as he says "I refuse to show my ID, and I will not leave until forced to leave."  He'll be arrested far more quickly in an airport security situation than on the front lawn of the Board of Cosmetology.  ;)

Russell Kanning

It might just be a matter of how fast they wisk me off to Guantanamo

JonM

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 18, 2005, 09:25 AM NHFT
Quote from: JonM on May 18, 2005, 08:59 AM NHFT
You were actually violating a law, they had no choice but to arrest you when you refused to stop. ?Russell will not be violating a law by refusing to show ID, he will be violating a law when he physically touches someone standing in his way after he refuses to show ID. ?My understanding of ZAP is not perfect, I will admit, but I'm fairly sure that doesn't fit with it.

Nah!? When Russell warns them to be prepared for his visit, they'll be ready to arrest him as soon as he says "I refuse to show my ID, and I will not leave until forced to leave."? He'll be arrested far more quickly in an airport security situation than on the front lawn of the Board of Cosmetology.? ;)
What will they arrest him for?  I say again, you were violating a law, but not showing an ID to the security screener at the airport is not illegal.  Trying to physically get past said screener is.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: JonM on May 18, 2005, 09:29 AM NHFT
Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 18, 2005, 09:25 AM NHFT
Nah!? When Russell warns them to be prepared for his visit, they'll be ready to arrest him as soon as he says "I refuse to show my ID, and I will not leave until forced to leave."? He'll be arrested far more quickly in an airport security situation than on the front lawn of the Board of Cosmetology.? ;)
What will they arrest him for?? I say again, you were violating a law, but not showing an ID to the security screener at the airport is not illegal.? Trying to physically get past said screener is.

They'll arrest him for refusing to cooperate with security screeners.  Saying you will refuse to cooperate or leave is a pretty clear method of not cooperating.  It may turn out to be a simple trespassing or criminal trespassing charge, but I doubt it.  They'll hit him with refusing to cooperate with security and probably jail him for a day or two and fine him a grand.  That's the best case scenario.  Worst case scenario?  Who knows?

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Neo Hantoni on May 18, 2005, 08:52 AM NHFT
This is the classic non-approach used by libertarians everywhere.  You know where we need to be, but have no idea how to get there.   Most libertarians think that talking alone will get us there.  At least you're beyond that.  But your understanding of what action is needed is deeply flawed.  This will not get you from here to there.

Talk is cheap.  Are you doing anything in NH beyond critiquing?

By the way you can listen to Free Talk Live discussing this situation here:  http://freetalklive.com/files/FTL051705B.mp3

jgmaynard

Quote from: Neo Hantoni on May 18, 2005, 08:25 AM NHFT
While I am certainly not participating in this protest, this approach generally (if not specific protests) will have negative consequences for the freedom movement in New Hampshire, particularly those with some relationship with free staters.? Those consequences are developing now, even if you cannot see them.

Whhyyyyy... If'ins yous sayin' that y'all got news no other varmint in here done have, steps forwards with it boy! Otherwisin' dat's be soundin' like somethin' Charlie Proulx be sayins...... Ceptin' he's been busy with his con-spir-a-cies theories he be spoutin' this week on end..

JM  ;D

Russell Kanning

JonM

Well, once again good luck. ?I doubt he can get arrested for not cooperating with security, as that isn't illegal. ?Actually violating a law is a key ingredient in forcing the police to arrest you. ?The people running airports aren't stupid, they will avoid giving Russell what he wants if they can. ?Since Mike actually was violating a law, the police couldn't not arrest him without making a mockery of the law. ?Since Russell won't be violating a law unless he attempts to force his way past security, they don't have to arrest him unless he refuses to depart the airport when they eventually ask him to leave, then tell him to leave.

So the best bet to get arrested seems to me to be:
Airport official: Look, you have no ID, you can't get through security, thus you can't fly, please leave.
Russell: No, it is my right to travel, I want to travel.
Police: They asked you to go, please leave.
Police: Please come with me sir.
Police: Fine, you're under arrest.

I don't see it landing as high on the public support meter as Mike's protest, but I've made a life of not being exactly right on my predictions, so why change now?

Russell Kanning

That could be how it goes.....that will not be a disappointment :)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: president on May 18, 2005, 10:42 AM NHFT

I would never discourage y'all from doing this kind of stuff.? 8)

I was hoping you were going to join me. :)

FTL_Ian

Quote from: president on May 18, 2005, 10:42 AM NHFT
This is the strangest comment coming from a radio talk show host.

Talk is cheap, but when doing it for a living, some extra costs are incurred.

Russell Kanning

Don't talk show hosts have the best idea of exactly how cheap it is? ;)

BTW I just love making Ian wish he was already in NH. ;D

Russell Kanning

In Boston they swabbed our daughters bag.....I guess for explosives.....maybe she fits a profile.....13 wearing pink....pink handbag.....

JonM

Strangely enough the speaker at my Kiwanis club yesterday was the director of security for Logan Airport.  He said they liked to do things randomly just in case people were casing the system.

Kat Kanning