• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

House backs pot decriminalization

Started by ny2nh, March 18, 2008, 02:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

Video about the mayoral bru ha ha is up at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26LvdIxfrUs

including contact info for the mayor
i have a call into his office requesting an interview

srqrebel

Quote from: Landon Jeffery on March 19, 2008, 09:18 PM NHFT
...I plan to move to the Keene area because from what I can tell that is the area with the majority of the "extreme" activists that I was hoping to find in NH.

Woohoo! :party-smiley-020:

;D 8)

dalebert

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 20, 2008, 09:49 AM NHFT
Quote from: Caleb on March 19, 2008, 11:37 PM NHFT
with all due respect, it doesn't get much more disrespectful than ftl's discussion of jesse's current situation. i almost stopped amping over that.

Considering we have not yet discussed Jesse's situation on the air (we're waiting for his dad to be ready to call in), you must be referring to the thread posted by BBS participants.   Thank you for not punishing me for the callousness of some individuals.   :-\

Yeah, Caleb, please don't punish Ian just because he has chosen not to censor an open message board. It's nothing but a sandbox for listeners- Ian's own words. None of those people are under his control.

srqrebel

Quote from: d_goddard on March 19, 2008, 09:41 PM NHFT
Is it only "real" civ dis if you are willing to accept any fate, up to and including death, for refusing to obey?

Why of course... that is the most powerful civil disobedience.

That kind of firm stance compels the agents of force to either back down, or drop their slick disguise and thereby expose their evil core to their unwitting supporters.  Damned if they don't, even more damned if they do.

Breaking the law, but then paying their arbitrary fine, is perhaps better than not taking a stand at all, but IMO it sends a mixed message: "I am willing to take a stand against this law, but I will voluntarily submit to their arbitrarily imposed consequences."  It sends the message that this particular law is bad, but the institution of force itself is to be ultimately respected and obeyed.

It also sends the agents of force the message that all they have to do is crack down on us, and we will cave in.  That is certainly not the case with the radical and fast-growing activist group here in Keene, and they know it :)

srqrebel

Quote from: d_goddard on March 19, 2008, 11:19 PM NHFT
...the NHFree forum is home to the most intolerant, disrespectful discourse I've run across on the 'net.
And that includes when I used to hang out on alt.flame

Whoa... I sincerely hope that is not partly in reference to any of my posts.

I state my opinions, sometimes forcefully, but I try to be respectful wherever it is even remotely appropriate.

I know there has been some extremely intolerant, disrespectful discourse on this forum, but it is usually by only a tiny percentage of generally despised forum participants.  It speaks to the respectfulness and tolerance of Kat and Russell that such individuals are not immediately banned from their own forum.

Beth221

Quote from: DadaOrwell on March 20, 2008, 12:26 PM NHFT

thanks dave. 

WMUR vote, should scannell resign?  HECK NO!  http://www.wmur.com/news/15652017/detail.html

ny2nh

This has been a very frustrating day for me - politically. There have been a fair amount of times where the mayor (or someone else) has done something and I've not understood why....usually once I've heard the background, I can see a different reason that what was obvious. All too often, the new stories are a little out of context, etc.

I read this article at 6AM - and I just don't get this one at all. I guess I remotely can see Guinta view that Scannell is head of the anti-drug group in the schools is in conflict with how he voted. I don't agree - but I guess I can see it. Scannell gets a paycheck from the City of Manchester to head the safe schools program - which in part is supposed to try to reduce drug use.....and I guess the Mayor sees this as being in contradiction with his paid city job.

I still don't get it....and I wish the mayor had said nothing at all on the subject. Ugh.  :-\

ny2nh

And, just to set the record straight - Guinta did not threaten Scannell's job....nor does he have the authority to fire him......

KBCraig

Quote from: ny2nh on March 20, 2008, 06:30 PM NHFT

And, just to set the record straight - Guinta did not threaten Scannell's job....nor does he have the authority to fire him......

When the mayor, who is president of the school board, publicly calls for a school employee's resignation, I consider it threatening.

ny2nh

Quote from: KBCraig on March 20, 2008, 06:34 PM NHFT
Quote from: ny2nh on March 20, 2008, 06:30 PM NHFT

When the mayor, who is president of the school board, publicly calls for a school employee's resignation, I consider it threatening.

It would only be threatening if he could act on it - which he cannot.

d_goddard

It's called the "Bully pulpit", and no matter what you think about MJ decrim, or Scannell's vote, it is the mark of a bully and an authoritarian power-seeker to use that pulpit to try and squash somebody.

As I said in my message to Guinta:
Quote from: d_goddardSir, you have just utterly and completely disqualified yourself from the race for Governor. So help me God, no executive can be allowed to display the level of ignorance and thuggery that you have done.

ReverendRyan

My LTE:

QuoteTo the Editor:

Although I find public schooling detrimental to providing a decent education, due to recent events I find myself in the highly unusual position of defending a public school bureaucrat's employment.

Mayor Guinta has threatened the job of state Rep. David Scannell, Manchester School District spokesman, for voting in favor of HB1623, a bill to restore educational opportunities to students caught with a small amount of marijuana.

I will not venture into the moral and societal arguments about marijuana, for this is not what this bill was about. The simple fact is that federal regulations are so draconian that while most violent crimes will not disqualify one from grants, the non-violent possession of marijuana will. Reducing possession from a crime to a violation is the only way to protect a student's eligibility for federal education aid. Rep. Scannell was well aware of this. His vote was not pro-marijuana, it was pro-education.

Mr. Guinta, I campaigned for your re-election before I had even moved to Manchester. You of all people should know better than blaming Mr. Scannell, rather than over-reaching federal mandates, for doing what needed to be done to support education.

Ryan Marvin
459 Wilson St
Manchester NH 03103
603-625-1690

d_goddard

Ron Helwig

Quote from: ReverendRyan on March 20, 2008, 07:38 PM NHFT
His vote was not pro-marijuana, it was pro-education.

Frakkin excellent point!

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: d_goddard on March 20, 2008, 07:07 PM NHFT
It's called the "Bully pulpit", and no matter what you think about MJ decrim, or Scannell's vote, it is the mark of a bully and an authoritarian power-seeker to use that pulpit to try and squash somebody.

As I said in my message to Guinta:
Quote from: d_goddardSir, you have just utterly and completely disqualified yourself from the race for Governor. So help me God, no executive can be allowed to display the level of ignorance and thuggery that you have done.

Denis... You rock. Thank you.  8)