• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Lauren Canario arrested in New London

Started by Kat Kanning, September 22, 2006, 10:16 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

New London Ct.: A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

The 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court's decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

The US District Court found that New London had ``shown a rational basis for the policy.'' In a ruling dated Aug. 23, the 2nd Circuit agreed. The court said the policy might be unwise but was a rational way to reduce job turnover.

error

Smart cops might question stupid orders. That's why they aren't wanted.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: error on September 24, 2006, 06:09 PM NHFT
Smart cops might question stupid orders. That's why they aren't wanted.

Exactly.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: error on September 24, 2006, 05:37 AM NHFT
Her name is spelled "Lauren Canario." Needs to be fixed in the second paragraph.

There's also an issue with "Lt. Ackley." According to the New London Police Department web site, Lt. Ackley is Lt. Margaret Ackley, one of three shift commanders who may answer that same phone line. Could this have been one of the other two, Lt. Steven Crowley or Lt. Marshal "Chip" Segar?

But what about this?

Quote from: Caleb on September 22, 2006, 10:28 PM NHFT
This Ackley character is a real piece of work.  He says Lauren victimized him.  I told him, "Oh, that's awful!  How did she victimize you?"  He said, "I hurt my back when I had to drag her off the floor."  ;D  I said, "Well, you could have just left her alone."  Under this guy's demented reasoning, the torturers at Guantanamo are victims if they accidentally shock themselves while applying electroshock "therapy".

I also told him that I wanted to be like Human Rights Watch and come to inspect the facilities and make sure Lauren is being treated well.  That got to him a little, "Why wouldn't she be treated well?" he asked.  "I don't know if she is or isn't being treated well," I said, "that's why I need to come see her to make sure."  No go ... but it got him fumbling for words a little.

Caleb, can you verify this before the press release goes out?

Thanks.

Dave Ridley

are there any other perpetrating organizations you guys can think of besides NLDC, NLPD and city hall?  

Michael Fisher

This is going out now.

Contacts:
  Michael Fisher, --clipped--
  Kat Dillon, --clipped--

From NHFree.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - NO RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF CONTENT

Protests After Eminent-Domain Resister Jailed, Officer 'Victimized'

NEW LONDON, CT, Sep. 24, 2006 - Anti-eminent-domain protestors held "Free Lauren Canario" signs at the city jail Saturday after she was arrested for sitting down in an attempt to prevent the boarding up of Fort Trumbull homes that were recently seized by the City of New London.

Eminent domain protestor Lauren Canario was arrested Friday, "because she was sitting outside a building near her old place in New London and refused to leave when they were boarding the place up," according to Kat Dillon, one of the protestors and a liberty activist with the New Hampshire Underground (NHFree.com).

The arrest was videotaped by Canario's husband of 28 years, Jim Johnson. The video allegedly shows two police officers dragging her away, then leaving her on her knees in the street at one point. In a Friday phone call, New London City Police Lt. Ackley said that Canario "victimized" him by refusing to cooperate. "I hurt my back when I had to drag her off the floor," he asserted.

Canario was also arrested during a town meeting last September and charged with criminal trespass, refusal to be fingerprinted, and interfering with police.  For several weeks, she left the court, judge, and police in disarray over her refusal to speak or walk when commanded to do so.  "I don't know what to do with this," Judge Hillary Strackbein said during Canario's second silent court appearance last year. Canario was eventually released and sentenced to time served.

Her strategies of "nonviolent noncooperation" seem unchanged from last year, when Johnson announced, "I support nonviolent noncooperation one hundred percent, and I support Lauren's actions one thousand percent."

"Lauren is a hero in the eyes of many of us. The only thing the government can do is let her go, and one day they will realize this. As before, her actions are negligible relative to the punishment the state has prepared for her," remarked Michael Fisher, a New Hampshire Underground activist.

Several members of the New Hampshire Underground (NHFree.com) who made the trip to the city jail Saturday said that visitors were not allowed to see Canario, and Johnson has been unable to call her. Rumors that the New London Development Corporation requested the arrest are unverified.

Fort Trumbull residents were forced to leave their homes after the New London Development Corporation legally seized the properties, with the subsequent approval of the U.S. Supreme Court. The remaining families moved out of their homes in August, and the city has apparently left the neighborhood in place for the foreseeable future.

In a WFSB interview this Friday, Johnson explained, "for the city to just take their house and not do anything with it, and now, as an empty shell, just to have homeless people move into it, it must be completely frustrating, angering."

Anyone seeking more up-to-date information about the arrest may visit www.NHFree.com.

# # #

Contacts:  Michael Fisher, --clipped--; Kat Dillon, --clipped--
E-mail:  --clipped-- or --clipped--
Web:  www.NHFree.com
Discussion:  http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=5380.0
Blog:  http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2006/09/23/one-arrested-in-new-london-eminent-domain-protest/

From NHFree.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - NO RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF CONTENT

Contacts:
  Michael Fisher, --clipped--
  Kat Dillon, --clipped--

Michael Fisher

I think the server blew up when I posted that.  :-*

Incrementalist

Quote from: Russell Kanning on September 23, 2006, 08:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: Incrementalist on September 23, 2006, 07:04 PM NHFT
Didn't the New London homeowners already give up?  I heard Kelo cut a deal to have her house moved to another location.
Yes.... but Lauren is still standing up to them in a small way. Just because the government bullied the rest recently, does not make them right.
No, but the protest is made effective by the fact that it's the property owners standing up for their rights.  Some lady refusing to leave property that isn't even hers doesn't quite make the same point.

Michael Fisher

Revmar

Quote from: Incrementalist on September 24, 2006, 09:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on September 23, 2006, 08:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: Incrementalist on September 23, 2006, 07:04 PM NHFT
Didn't the New London homeowners already give up?  I heard Kelo cut a deal to have her house moved to another location.
Yes.... but Lauren is still standing up to them in a small way. Just because the government bullied the rest recently, does not make them right.
No, but the protest is made effective by the fact that it's the property owners standing up for their rights.  Some lady refusing to leave property that isn't even hers doesn't quite make the same point.
As I see it, Lauren is keeping this from becoming a dead issue.  Just because the NLDC won this case does not mean that Eminent Domain is justified.  It is still an evil that should be resisted.

Michael Fisher

The press release has been sent to all of my personal press contacts in Connecticut, New Hampshire, and in several national media outlets.

Radical_Teen

Quote from: John on September 22, 2006, 09:47 PM NHFT
In a Prison in New London as the sun moves through the sky
Another sits in a PRISON, and her friends are asking "why"
The giant corporations take homes wich are not their's
And the local polititions help, as if nobody cares

If they keep her there forever - we know she will not speak
My friend she sits in silence as a voice spoke for the meek

In a PRISON in New London as the moon moves throught the sky
That they can do this to us, should make you want to cry . . .

I like that Jonh

Dave Ridley

thanks for posting that news release mike!!!

made two more calls to different extenssions at NLDC yesterday, left voice messages.    They have a line you can call to get help and info on relocation.  So I left them a real deadpan question asking hem for info on which parts of town were safe from the NLDC.   : )

Michael Fisher

Nice, Dave. :)

You're welcome. Wish I could do more to help.  :'(

Kat Kanning

Mike Lorry posted a couple articles about Lauren's arrest to digg, etc. if people want to digg them:

http://digg.com/users/mlorrey/submitted

http://reddit.com/user/mlorrey/